News Stories Tagged south africa
Certain countries, such as South Africa, won't let you enter with a passport that will expire less than 30 days after your planned departure from the country; also, you need two blank pages in your passport to enter South Africa.
With six of the country's top ten restaurants and its most famous wine estates just a 45-minute drive from Cape Town, the Western Cape vineyards makes a dream vacation for those with a love of fine food and the grape. Here are some ideas to plan a packed three-night tour to keep your days full and your palette peaked.
Plan to spend US$15 to US$25 a day (per traveler) on gratuities. In South Africa tips are on the higher end of this range and usually are paid in rand (the local currency); you may also use U.S. dollars for tips, however. Elsewhere in southern Africa, U.S. currency is preferred.
Are you dreaming of an Out of Africa experience or capturing the Big Five—buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, and rhino—on film? Every day of an African safari is truly unforgettable, from early-morning game drives to amazing stargazing. To inspire your own adventure, here are our top regions to explore.
It's not hard to get swept up in the frenzy that is the Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week. If watching the great white sharks on TV doesn’t soothe your curiosity, then head to Gansbaai, South Africa May through August (a.k.a Prime Great White viewing season).
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup? Even if it's too late to watch the final match in person, there are many exciting adventures to be had in South Africa long after the vuvuzelas quiet down. From coastal Cape Town to the wilds of Kruger Park, here are some other classic experiences to inspire your trip.
Program your credit cards for ATM use in South Africa before leaving home. (Most South African ATMs take five-digit PIN numbers.)
Whether you're traveling to Cape Town for the World Cup, or are inspired to go from the mesmerizing views of nearby Table Mountain you're sure to see, here's how to maximize your trip.
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer. While the spotlight will be on Capetown these next few weeks, Johannesburg is a fantastic jumping-off point for safaris and many other South African attractions. Here's how to make the most of your time there.
American citizens need a valid passport with two blank facing visa pages to enter South Africa for visits of up to 90 days; this includes infants. If your passport will expire within six months of your return date, you need to renew your passport in advance, as South Africa won't let you enter with a soon-to-expire passport.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $100 & up -- Suite: 4-Star Punta Cana Resort w/Flight CreditBookIt.com
- $110 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 65%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $203 & up -- NYC: Westin Times Square Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $1999 -- Hawaii 15-Nt. Cruise w/Balcony, Tips & $400 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $5199 -- 15-Nt. Brazil, Argentina & Easter Island, $2955 OffGate 1 Travel
- $9 & up -- Holiday Gift Guide: Deals on 1000+ ExperiencesTravelzoo