News Stories Tagged south africa
Are you dreaming of an Out of Africa experience or capturing the Big Five—buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, and rhino—on film? Every day of an African safari is truly unforgettable, from early-morning game drives to amazing stargazing. To inspire your own adventure, here are our top regions to explore.
It's not hard to get swept up in the frenzy that is the Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week. If watching the great white sharks on TV doesn’t soothe your curiosity, then head to Gansbaai, South Africa May through August (a.k.a Prime Great White viewing season).
Inspired by the setting of the exciting World Cup? Even if it's too late to watch the final match in person, there are many exciting adventures to be had in South Africa long after the vuvuzelas quiet down. From coastal Cape Town to the wilds of Kruger Park, here are some other classic experiences to inspire your trip.
Program your credit cards for ATM use in South Africa before leaving home. (Most South African ATMs take five-digit PIN numbers.)
Whether you're traveling to Cape Town for the World Cup, or are inspired to go from the mesmerizing views of nearby Table Mountain you're sure to see, here's how to maximize your trip.
Tourism is likely to increase once the world sees how much South Africa has to offer. While the spotlight will be on Capetown these next few weeks, Johannesburg is a fantastic jumping-off point for safaris and many other South African attractions. Here's how to make the most of your time there.
American citizens need a valid passport with two blank facing visa pages to enter South Africa for visits of up to 90 days; this includes infants. If your passport will expire within six months of your return date, you need to renew your passport in advance, as South Africa won't let you enter with a soon-to-expire passport.
So you want to see Africa's legendary wildlife but don't want to rough it? No problem. Our favorite lodges will tempt you to defect from the real world forever to live like kings and queens.
Starting May 1, 2009, South African Airlines will be offering nonstop service from JFK to Johannesburg. Whereas the old schedule required most travelers to spend the night in Johannesburg before embarking on their safari (or making their next connection), the new schedule means they will arrive at 8:45AM with a day's worth of travel possibilities ahead of them. Flights from Washington D.C.'s Dulles airport, though not direct as of May 1st, will also be available. This savings on overnight accommodation in Jo'burg is a well-timed development in an economic climate where every penny counts.... Photo courtesy of WireLizard on Flickr...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $1006 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star Casino Resort Vacation w/AirfareApple Vacations
- $858 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star Seaside Family Getaway w/AirApple Vacations
- $1446* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $399Westin Snowmass Resort
- $79 & up -- Myrtle Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago