News Stories Tagged singapore
Steamy, bustling, and burgeoning, this Southeast Asian city-state has become a rather snazzy metropolis in recent years. Here's a primer on what to bring along.
If you haven't been to Singapore in the past three years, it's almost as if you haven't been there at all. Read on for five reasons why this tropical outpost warrants more than just an extended layover.
Native Hawaiian David Lee has been residing in Singapore for over a year now, and gives our intrepid reporter tips on how to live, what to buy, and ways to stay cool just one degree north of the equator.
It's time you put Singapore at the top of your travel wishlist. Billions of invested dollars have turned it into a buzz-worthy destination with hot hotels, cool restaurants, and a slick, modern vibe.
Sampling local specialties is the name of the game in Singapore, and most can be found at their very best at street stalls in hawker centers all over the city. Here's what to eat and where, from an insider.
Exploring the fabled regions of the Far East is infinitely easier by sea. And Voyages to Antiquity is one of a small group of luxe ships that can carry you to (and educate you on) Myanmar and its neighbors.
Two of the world's longest flights—from Singapore to Newark and Los Angeles—will soon be cut, due to increases in fuel costs. The airline says they will still have a focus on travel to the US.
Everyone's favorite Royals, Will and Kate, are on the move again—this time in Asia Pacific. As one of the many tours for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, they're stopping in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and more.
W Hotels are popping up all over the world, with the latest set to open in Singapore on September 16th. This new property will have all the posh bells and whistles the brand is known (and loved) for.
Getting stuck at the airport usually equates to mind-numbing boredom. Happily, these seven international jet-set hubs are coming to flyers’ rescue, continuing to roll out mega-entertainment options and "top that!" amenities that transform their terminals into temporary tourist destinations in their own right.
With mid-cruise voyages to distant landlocked spots as well as uncommon ports of call closer to home, here are some top choices for the most unique cruising itineraries of 2012.
Tipping’s prohibited at the airport and discouraged in hotels (except for bellboys, who generally receive S$1 per bag) or restaurants that levy a 10% service charge. Unlike in other countries, though, waitstaff don’t receive a percentage of this service charge, except in the more progressive establishments. Taxi drivers don’t receive tips from Singaporeans, who become upset when they see tourists tip.
These government-regulated food courts are clean and safe, and are a good way to eat what the locals do at about the same prices. Prices vary depending upon the center, and some try to fleece tourists, so ask at your hotel or check your guidebook for specific recommendations.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $5795* & up -- Business Class Flights for 2 on Luxe AirlineQatar Airways
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
- $69 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into Fall, O/WVirgin America
- $2544* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1599 -- Alaska 11-Night Cruise & Hotel Package, Save $860CruCon Cruise Outlet