News Stories Tagged scotland
There's no better place to drink Scotch than in its birthplace.
Noteworthy architecture, artistic quirks, and burgeoning music and food scenes have given the city new momentum.
From the LPGA in sunny Oahu to the PGA championship in rustic Rochester, New York, here's our cheat sheet for the year's best tournaments - and what to do when you're not on the course.
The iconic English (and Scottish and Irish) countryside is begging to be walked in, and you'd be hard-pressed to find better guides than the English Lakeland Ramblers. Even better, they've offered an exclusive deal just for Fodors.com readers!
Nothing beats a getaway with the girls, whether you hit a nearby foodie haven like Portland for the weekend or make it a far-flung jaunt to scope out the big five in Kenya or sip champagne in Australia.
A travel trend that’s gaining speed these days are family vacations that have nothing to do with theme parks. Rather, ancestral vacations or heritage trips, as they’re sometimes called, involve exploring the origins of your family tree.
Because Scotland has so many islands, ferry services are of paramount importance. Most ferries transport vehicles as well as foot passengers, although a few smaller ones are for passengers only.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
Would-be witches and wizards have been heading to film sites around Britain that capture the magical Potter world since 2001, when the first of the six previous movies opened. Each movie pieces together many locations, but you can visit some that truly capture the fantastical richness of Harry's world. Here are top spots to explore if you're happily seeking Harry in Britain.
These shave the high price of visiting castles, gardens, and historic houses. Some, including the Great British Heritage pass and the English Heritage’s Overseas Visitor pass, are for specific amounts of time from a week to a month. The National Trust’s pass must be purchased before your trip. If you’ll be spending time in Scotland, look into the Historic Scotland’s Explorer Pass or the National Trust for Scotland’s Discovery Ticket. The VisitBritain Web site (www.visitbritain.com) has information about these and other discounts; match what the pass or membership offers against your itinerary to see if you’ll save money.
Pack some insect repellent to deter this tiny biting fl y if you’re traveling in the Highlands and islands in summer; the Highland midge is a force to be reckoned with. You might want to set out on a hike after a windy spell, when the creatures have been temporarily beaten back. Antihistamine cream is helpful in reducing swelling of bites you do get.
Call the golf course and your airline for details. Airlines may not necessarily treat golf clubs as typical luggage, and you may have to pay an extra fee or follow packing instructions in order to bring them over on your flight. When you book your tee time, which you should do in advance, ask about clubs. It might be best to rent them.
There's no shortage of vibrant festivals around the globe that cater to every taste, from revered spiritual celebrations to more bizarre activities such as wife-carrying competitions. Chances are there's at least one festival somewhere on earth dedicated to any peculiar hobby you may enjoy.
We traveled all over Europe, and learned an important lesson: in order to travel with kids, you've got to think like a kid. Save the cathedrals and museums for another trip. Here are ten European attractions that your kids will love.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1499 -- Suite: Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$1250 in ExtrasCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1424 -- Oceanview: 10-Nt. Hawaii Cruise w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $743* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $164 & up -- Bahamas Luxe All-Inclusive Resort, Save 55% Riu Palace Paradise
- $1313 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $1199 -- 14-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruCon Cruise Outlet