News Stories Tagged san francisco
Spring has just about sprung, so we've rounded up a preview of the season's freshest happenings in five of the world's most popular cities. From San Francisco's funky festivals to Paris's cutting-edge art expos, these main events are sure to put some spring in your step. In addition to outlining a smorgasbord of special spring events, each city-specific mini-itinerary below gives you the scoop on where to sleep and eat, for a spring fling to make the birds sing.
A night out at a Broadway show, opera, or concert can easily set you back a cool Benjamin (or more). While students and seniors can often catch a price break, finding discounted seats requires a bit more digging for the rest of us. Read on for some terrific tips on snagging great seats and getting cultured on the cheap.
San Francisco's ever-evolving restaurant scene has ensured it's a mainstay on the map for foodie-minded travelers. With culinary accolades that today extend far beyond Bay Area-fixture/epicurean goddess, we've set out to round up a cutting-edge culinary tour that incorporates five foodie hot spots, all of which have debuted within the last year and a half.
If you're looking to kill a little time in San Francisco's Mission District before hooking up with dinner companions, the Modern Times Bookstore is a low-key and inviting place to hide out in the stacks.
Be aware that cabs in San Francisco are more expensive than in other areas in the United States; expect to pay at least $10 to get anywhere within the city. And keep in mind that BART service across the bay stops shortly after midnight.
Whether you're into painting, prints, photography, or fashion, major American museums from Los Angeles to Prouts Neck, Maine, are hosting exceptional art shows worth traveling for this year. We've picked the eight best, on now through the end of 2012, so you can plan ahead for art-filled weekend getaways from coast to coast.
On Saturday at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market, don't miss the coffee at Blue Bottle—and yes, the line is worth it
San Francisco's Randall Museum, with its plethora of interactive exhibits and local animals, is a great resource for local families, but if you're going to take the kids to just one museum in town, make it the Exploratorium
For a ridiculously romantic experience at Madrona Manor in San Francisco Wine Country, ask for Room 203 or 204.
If you stop by McEvoy Ranch in San Francisco during fall or winter, don't miss the Olio Nuovo, the days-old green oil produced during the harvest.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays