News Stories Tagged rome
Decorated evergreens? Twinkling lights? It must be the end of December. From special symbols to sparkling shopping areas, the Fodorites and Fodor's editors share their favorite festive places in cities around the world. Some of our community members have photographed beautiful holiday images, too.
If you've been to Europe, you undoubtedly have a favorite square, whether it's a piazza, campo, place, platz, or plaza. Members in our forums recently shared their opinions, and Italy lead the list.
Want a chance to try out Fodor's new apps for FREE? We're giving away $10 iTunes gift certificates to ten lucky tweeters. Entry details after the jump...
They’re especially strict for visits to the Basilica di San Pietro and the Musei Vaticani: shorts, tank tops, and halter tops are taboo. Shoulders must be covered. Women should carry a scarf or shawl to cover bare arms if the custodians insist. Those who do not comply with the dress code are refused admittance.
Rome is known for its simple, time-tested cuisine, but choosing a restaurant can be tricky. Many places catering primarily to tourists cut corners and compromise on tradition—it's easy to wind up in a dining room where your fellow customers all speak English, your waiter is smuggly indifferent (or cartoonishly fawning), and, the one unforgivable shortcoming, your food is second-rate. For a more authentic experience, check out the local favorites of our Rome-based restaurant reviewer.
I have stood under the open "eye" of the Pantheon's dome in an April shower, watched a red summer moon rise over the Colosseum, shuffled through autumn leaves along the Tiber, and beheld the astounding sight of Rome's roofs under a blanket of snow. But when asked the best season for a trip to Rome, my immediate response is any time—as long as you know what to expect and plan accordingly.
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
Most major tourist destinations are teeming with gift shops full of cheap souvenirs. Unfortunately, these items don't usually succeed at capturing the essence of a destination for you. On the lookout for a meaningful souvenir? Try pairing your purchase with a unique experience that you're bound to remember long after your trip ends. For starters, here are some suggestions for fun and interesting experiences and souvenirs to be had in three of Europe's most visited capitals: Paris, London, and Rome.
Traveling to Rome this summer? Beat the heat with a scoop or two of delicious gelato. The dessert's texture is dense but softer than hard ice cream because of the process by which it's whipped when freezing. A few common flavors are stracciatella (chocolate chip), caffè (coffee), nocciola (hazlenut), fragola (strawberry), and ciocolato (chocolate).... Related links...From Fodor's Rome: Rome's Best Gelato...From the forums: 4 Friends, 8 Days - An Easter Week in Rome Trip Report...
Whether this is your first visit to Roma or your fifteenth, you'll gain a deeper appreciation of the city, its citizens, and the endless possibilities it offers just by learning just a little of la bella lingua italiana.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $57 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Suite w/Daily BreakfastPalace Resort
- Up to 10% Off -- Europe Car Rentals through SummerEnterprise
- $127-$144 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $638 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5 Nts. w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $69.50 & up -- Nicaragua Hotel & Vacation Deals, Save 70%Nicaragua Tourism Board
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Caribbean Cruise on CelebrityAmerican Express Travel