News Stories Tagged rome
They’re especially strict for visits to the Basilica di San Pietro and the Musei Vaticani: shorts, tank tops, and halter tops are taboo. Shoulders must be covered. Women should carry a scarf or shawl to cover bare arms if the custodians insist. Those who do not comply with the dress code are refused admittance.
Rome is known for its simple, time-tested cuisine, but choosing a restaurant can be tricky. Many places catering primarily to tourists cut corners and compromise on tradition—it's easy to wind up in a dining room where your fellow customers all speak English, your waiter is smuggly indifferent (or cartoonishly fawning), and, the one unforgivable shortcoming, your food is second-rate. For a more authentic experience, check out the local favorites of our Rome-based restaurant reviewer.
I have stood under the open "eye" of the Pantheon's dome in an April shower, watched a red summer moon rise over the Colosseum, shuffled through autumn leaves along the Tiber, and beheld the astounding sight of Rome's roofs under a blanket of snow. But when asked the best season for a trip to Rome, my immediate response is any time—as long as you know what to expect and plan accordingly.
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
Most major tourist destinations are teeming with gift shops full of cheap souvenirs. Unfortunately, these items don't usually succeed at capturing the essence of a destination for you. On the lookout for a meaningful souvenir? Try pairing your purchase with a unique experience that you're bound to remember long after your trip ends. For starters, here are some suggestions for fun and interesting experiences and souvenirs to be had in three of Europe's most visited capitals: Paris, London, and Rome.
Traveling to Rome this summer? Beat the heat with a scoop or two of delicious gelato. The dessert's texture is dense but softer than hard ice cream because of the process by which it's whipped when freezing. A few common flavors are stracciatella (chocolate chip), caffè (coffee), nocciola (hazlenut), fragola (strawberry), and ciocolato (chocolate).... Related links...From Fodor's Rome: Rome's Best Gelato...From the forums: 4 Friends, 8 Days - An Easter Week in Rome Trip Report...
Whether this is your first visit to Roma or your fifteenth, you'll gain a deeper appreciation of the city, its citizens, and the endless possibilities it offers just by learning just a little of la bella lingua italiana.
Europe is home to some of the world's smallest countries....
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $69 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $1291 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $119-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $1446* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand