News Stories Tagged puerto vallarta
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy for staving off winter boredom. Here are six of the holiday weekend's very best hotel deals.
When it comes to Riviera Nayarit, our advice is go now before the crowds take over. From San Blas to Sayulita, this low-key region on Mexico's west coast is filled with great eats, surf spots, and a rich history.
While family trips to the zoo can be fun, we recommend taking the experience to another level by getting up close and personal with animals themselves. At the following resorts and attractions in nearby sunny locales, families can swim with manatees, play with dolphins, and even—if you’re brave—feed a lion!
Last week, just before Spring Break season kicked off, the US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs an updated warning for US travelers in Mexico. The department’s primary concern is with the activity of Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs), whose clashes with Mexican authorities and each other have caused a surge in violence in certain areas of the country.
For a walking vacation, stay in Old Vallarta or Marina Vallarta. This includes El Centro (with its hilly, cobblestone streets and excellent views) and the Romantic Zone south of the Cuale River (where you’ll find more shops, restaurants, hill-free walking, and Los Muertos beach). Hotels here range from inexpensive to moderate. Marina Vallarta, too, is a place you can stay relatively car-free, though a bicycle is handy. Hotels here tend to be more luxury-oriented.
This includes El Centro (with its hilly, cobblestone streets and excellent views) and the Romantic Zone south of the Cuale River (where you’ll find more shops, restaurants, hill-free walking, and Los Muertos beach). Hotels here range from inexpensive to moderate. Marina Vallarta, too, is a place you can stay relatively car-free, though a bicycle is handy. Hotels here tend to be more luxury-oriented.
If you don't feel like partaking of what the vendor's offering, don't feel pressured. Although it might feel rude, it's culturally permissable to smile and firmly say "no, gracias" only once with no further eye contact, or simply ignore itinerant vendors, especially if you're in the middle of a conversation. Being blatantly impolite, of course—i.e., shouting at the vendor to take a hike—is rude, no matter where you're from.
In the fourth of a series of articles about travel to Mexico, Fodor's Editor Kelly Kealy talks about a recent trip to Michoacán state.
Even if you only glimpse it from shore, spotting a pod of whales in the Pacific is one of Mexico's definitive experience. If you're lucky, you'll see a mama whale teach her young one the not-so-delicate art of breaching. Baja has gray whales in its waters from December to April; in particular, Laguna San Ignacio and Bahia Magdalena on the Pacific Coast seem to sing out a siren call to grays. They come in droves to give birth or mate. Sightings are also good between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo.
In the third of a series of articles on travel to Mexico, Fodor's editor Eric Wechter heads to Puerto Vallarta and discovers Mexico's safest bet.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2799 -- 7-Night Luxury Tahiti Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $649 & up -- Jamaica 4-Nt. All-Incl. Luxury Escape, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $999 & up -- Hawaii: 7-Night All Island Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $129 & up -- Washington, D.C., Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $4599 -- Suite: 15-Night Luxury Indian Ocean CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Spring, $440 OffRoyal Caribbean