News Stories Tagged portugal
Chef Missy Robbins, of NYC's A Voce Madison, is an authority figure when it comes to all things pescatarian. So we asked her about the best local fish to order around the world.
Portugal is so hot right now. With an increase in visitors, the country is riding a wave of new hotel openings in the last year alone. Add to those, the Mercy Hotel set to debut in Lisbon next month.
One of the best ways to discover a new place is on foot. And with Portugal's new Rota Vicentina, getting to know the stunning coast along The Algarve just got a whole lot easier.
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages and vineyard-coated countryside—is booming, with next year's cruise calendar ramping up its offerings, courtesy of three major river cruse lines. AmaWaterways is debuting a duo of fresh itineraries and a new vessel; Viking River Cruises is making their first-ever foray into Portugal; and Portugal river cruise pioneer Uniworld is ensuring its firm foothold in the region with a shiny new ship.
We heard it through the grapevine: Catering to oenophiles is the latest trend on the high seas. A trio of cruise lines are pulling out all the stops to lure wine enthusiasts on deck, with newly launched wine-themed programs that feature plenty of wine experts on tap, viticulture-minded lectures, special vintage tastings, and more. And, of course, ports of call worthy of raising a glass to, in some of the world's top wine regions.
Trying to figure out where to take your big vacation this year? We've got you covered. Our curated list of buzzy destinations, emerging hotspots, places that offer great values, and locales with upcoming noteworthy events, is sure to inspire you to book a trip—fast.
This is a country with a wealth of crafts—from superbly woven baskets to beautifully embroidered linens, to irresistible porcelain and pottery (you might want to pack your own bubble wrap and tape to get the latter home safely). Items made of cork, leather, and wood should make your list; so should port and other local wines.
This is a country with a wealth of crafts—from superbly woven baskets to beautifully embroidered linens, to irresistible porcelain and pottery (you might want to pack your own Bubble Wrap and tape to get the latter home safely). Items made of cork, leather, and wood should make your list; so should port and other local wines. The fashion-design scene is thriving here as well: top names include Ana Salazar, Fátima Lopes, Maria Gambina, Manuel Alves, and José Manuel Gonçalves.
The word fado means fate, and, like the blues, fado songs are full of fatalism. The image of a black-shawled fadista, head thrown back, eyes closed with emotion, voice rising and falling with soulful song, is quintessentially Portuguese. Many casas de fado are also restaurants; some offer a mix of fado and folk-dancing shows.
Our editors recently chose the most picturesque towns in Europe, and the result was published in Fodor's Essential Europe. You can find our choices below—but we're never happy to let the discussion end there. We wanted to know what the travelers in our Europe forums had to say as well, so we asked them: did their favorites appear on our list? What would they add?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo
- $183-$269 -- NYC: Manhattan Westin thru Holidays, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $149* & up -- Ends 10/26: Mexico Fares into Winter, O/WVirgin America
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1705 & up -- Costa Rica 8-Nt. Eco-Adventure incl. AirGreat Value Vacations
- $749 & up -- Cancun: All-Incl. Beachfront Escape w/ExtrasApple Vacations
- $121-$162 -- Maine: 4-Star Downtown Portland Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Portland Harborview