News Stories Tagged portugal
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages and vineyard-coated countryside—is booming, with next year's cruise calendar ramping up its offerings, courtesy of three major river cruse lines. AmaWaterways is debuting a duo of fresh itineraries and a new vessel; Viking River Cruises is making their first-ever foray into Portugal; and Portugal river cruise pioneer Uniworld is ensuring its firm foothold in the region with a shiny new ship.
We heard it through the grapevine: Catering to oenophiles is the latest trend on the high seas. A trio of cruise lines are pulling out all the stops to lure wine enthusiasts on deck, with newly launched wine-themed programs that feature plenty of wine experts on tap, viticulture-minded lectures, special vintage tastings, and more. And, of course, ports of call worthy of raising a glass to, in some of the world's top wine regions.
Trying to figure out where to take your big vacation this year? We've got you covered. Our curated list of buzzy destinations, emerging hotspots, places that offer great values, and locales with upcoming noteworthy events, is sure to inspire you to book a trip—fast.
This is a country with a wealth of crafts—from superbly woven baskets to beautifully embroidered linens, to irresistible porcelain and pottery (you might want to pack your own bubble wrap and tape to get the latter home safely). Items made of cork, leather, and wood should make your list; so should port and other local wines.
This is a country with a wealth of crafts—from superbly woven baskets to beautifully embroidered linens, to irresistible porcelain and pottery (you might want to pack your own Bubble Wrap and tape to get the latter home safely). Items made of cork, leather, and wood should make your list; so should port and other local wines. The fashion-design scene is thriving here as well: top names include Ana Salazar, Fátima Lopes, Maria Gambina, Manuel Alves, and José Manuel Gonçalves.
The word fado means fate, and, like the blues, fado songs are full of fatalism. The image of a black-shawled fadista, head thrown back, eyes closed with emotion, voice rising and falling with soulful song, is quintessentially Portuguese. Many casas de fado are also restaurants; some offer a mix of fado and folk-dancing shows.
Our editors recently chose the most picturesque towns in Europe, and the result was published in Fodor's Essential Europe. You can find our choices below—but we're never happy to let the discussion end there. We wanted to know what the travelers in our Europe forums had to say as well, so we asked them: did their favorites appear on our list? What would they add?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $119 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $929 & up -- Caribbean 4-Night 'Dreams' Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $649 & up -- Jamaica 4-Nt. All-Incl. Luxury Escape, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $299 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line