News Stories Tagged portugal
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of recent new openings (from hotels to parks and walking trails), now is really the time to go. Here's why.
Springtime always brings jaunts to Europe to the forefront of travel wishlists, but if you've hit the top spots (Paris, Rome, Barcelona), it's time to discover something new, like these six smaller cities.
Ever feel like falling asleep with one view and waking up with another? A chic new hotel in a historic Portuguese city just outside of Porto has got your back, with their slowly revolving rooms.
Chef Missy Robbins, of NYC's A Voce Madison, is an authority figure when it comes to all things pescatarian. So we asked her about the best local fish to order around the world.
Portugal is so hot right now. With an increase in visitors, the country is riding a wave of new hotel openings in the last year alone. Add to those, the Mercy Hotel set to debut in Lisbon next month.
One of the best ways to discover a new place is on foot. And with Portugal's new Rota Vicentina, getting to know the stunning coast along The Algarve just got a whole lot easier.
River cruising in Portugal's Douro River Valley—a delightful region comprised of old-world villages and vineyard-coated countryside—is booming, with next year's cruise calendar ramping up its offerings, courtesy of three major river cruse lines. AmaWaterways is debuting a duo of fresh itineraries and a new vessel; Viking River Cruises is making their first-ever foray into Portugal; and Portugal river cruise pioneer Uniworld is ensuring its firm foothold in the region with a shiny new ship.
We heard it through the grapevine: Catering to oenophiles is the latest trend on the high seas. A trio of cruise lines are pulling out all the stops to lure wine enthusiasts on deck, with newly launched wine-themed programs that feature plenty of wine experts on tap, viticulture-minded lectures, special vintage tastings, and more. And, of course, ports of call worthy of raising a glass to, in some of the world's top wine regions.
Trying to figure out where to take your big vacation this year? We've got you covered. Our curated list of buzzy destinations, emerging hotspots, places that offer great values, and locales with upcoming noteworthy events, is sure to inspire you to book a trip—fast.
This is a country with a wealth of crafts—from superbly woven baskets to beautifully embroidered linens, to irresistible porcelain and pottery (you might want to pack your own bubble wrap and tape to get the latter home safely). Items made of cork, leather, and wood should make your list; so should port and other local wines.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com