News Stories Tagged peru
This year marks the hundredth anniversary of Machu Picchu's "discovery" by Yale University historian Hiram Bingham. We've got the basics to help plan your own exploration of this iconic symbol of Peru—and one of the world’s must-see destinations.
The Inca Trail is one of the world’s signature outdoor excursions. Though the journey by train is the easiest way to get to Machu Picchu, most travelers who arrive via the Inca Trail wouldn’t have done it any other way.
Peru's national drink is the pisco sour, made with a pale grape brandy—close to 100 proof—derived from grapes grown in vineyards around Ica, south of Lima. Added to the brandy are lemon juice, sugar, bitters, and egg white.
Passenger boats are the most important means of transportation in the jungle. If you visit a jungle lodge, your hosts will pick you up in an outboard-powered boat—some have thatched roofs. Larger boats make 4- to 10-day cruises on the Amazon from Iquitos. You can also make arrangements for an excursion with a native guide in a wooden dugout called a pecka-pecka. However, do get a reference from a reliable source in whatever river town you happen to be in.
In most countries it’s best to drink only bottled water or water that has been boiled for several minutes, even when brushing your teeth. Order drinks without ice. Note that water doesn’t boil sufficiently at high altitudes to rid the bacteria, so in countries like Boliva and Peru you’ll have to use purification tablets.
Peru's national drink is the pisco sour, made with a pale grape brandy—close to 100 proof—derived from grapes grown in vineyards around Ica, south of Lima. Added to the brandy are lemon juice, sugar, bitters, and egg white. It is a refreshing drink and one that nearly every bar in Peru claims to make best.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1205 & up -- Athens & Istanbul 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $980 & up -- Beijing & Shanghai 6-Nt. Vacation w/AirTripMasters.com
- $4999 -- 16-Day Luxe Transatlantic Cruise to London w/AirOceania Cruises
- $909 & up -- Greece: Escorted Athens Land-Only Trip w/CruiseApple Vacations
- $999 -- Ireland: 4-Night Dublin Escape in Fall w/AirAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $1487 & up -- Rio & Buenos Aires 6-Nts. w/Air & TransfersTripMasters.com