News Stories Tagged norway
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." But that doesn't mean budget travelers have to avoid it completely, it just means getting creative.
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors. But we think it's time to embrace the snow with trips to these wintry wonderlands—think hot springs, snow tubing, and ice hotels.
There's a new character in town. On the Tjuvholmen peninsula in downtown Oslo, The Thief opened its doors last week filled with contemporary art, a rooftop bar, and sleek guest rooms.
Apes, rhinos, and whales—oh my! (And lions, blue-footed boobies, and polar bears, too.) Here are 5 top cruises for getting up close and personal with some amazing animals.
Non-cruise people listen up: this is not the screaming kid-filled cruise of your past. Cunard's new Queen Elizabeth is a luxe new guard with rich decor and unforgettable experiences.
There's not a lot of news that pertains to cruise embarking equipment. But this seems cool. Cunard Cruise Line is testing a new floating pier, by SeaWalk, in the port of Skjolden, Norway.
Norway's got a bit of everything, plus some stuff few other countries have (hello, midnight sun). From fjords to fresh seafood, and from outdoorsy towns to chic cities, there's plenty to do in this Scandinavian country.
Luxury tour provider Abercrombie & Kent has announced an Arctic cruise adventure worth planning ahead for. The company will be hosting an expedition voyage aboard the sleek, 199-passenger MV Le Boreal, for a 2013 foray into polar bear country.
Norway’s famous brown goat cheese, Geitost (a sweet, caramel-flavor whey cheese made from goat and cow’s milk), and Norvegia (a Norwegian Gouda-like cheese) are on virtually every table. They are eaten in thin slices, cut with a cheese plane or slicer—a Norwegian invention—on buttered wheat or rye bread.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $118 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $55 & up -- SoCal: Santa Clarita Hotel Deals up to 50% OffVisit Santa Clarita
- $429 & up -- South Caribbean Cruise w/Upgrade; Kids FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $529 & up -- 8-Day Alaska Cruise incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Lines