News Stories Tagged norway
One of our editors gives advice on how to visit the Norwegian capital without emptying your wallet.
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." But that doesn't mean budget travelers have to avoid it completely, it just means getting creative.
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors. But we think it's time to embrace the snow with trips to these wintry wonderlands—think hot springs, snow tubing, and ice hotels.
There's a new character in town. On the Tjuvholmen peninsula in downtown Oslo, The Thief opened its doors last week filled with contemporary art, a rooftop bar, and sleek guest rooms.
Apes, rhinos, and whales—oh my! (And lions, blue-footed boobies, and polar bears, too.) Here are 5 top cruises for getting up close and personal with some amazing animals.
Non-cruise people listen up: this is not the screaming kid-filled cruise of your past. Cunard's new Queen Elizabeth is a luxe new guard with rich decor and unforgettable experiences.
There's not a lot of news that pertains to cruise embarking equipment. But this seems cool. Cunard Cruise Line is testing a new floating pier, by SeaWalk, in the port of Skjolden, Norway.
Norway's got a bit of everything, plus some stuff few other countries have (hello, midnight sun). From fjords to fresh seafood, and from outdoorsy towns to chic cities, there's plenty to do in this Scandinavian country.
Luxury tour provider Abercrombie & Kent has announced an Arctic cruise adventure worth planning ahead for. The company will be hosting an expedition voyage aboard the sleek, 199-passenger MV Le Boreal, for a 2013 foray into polar bear country.
Norway’s famous brown goat cheese, Geitost (a sweet, caramel-flavor whey cheese made from goat and cow’s milk), and Norvegia (a Norwegian Gouda-like cheese) are on virtually every table. They are eaten in thin slices, cut with a cheese plane or slicer—a Norwegian invention—on buttered wheat or rye bread.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
We can’t recommend this activity more highly—just be sure to pack a sturdy pair of hiking shoes. Hiking’s the national pastime, and you’ll never be too far from a well-marked mountain trail here. One of the best places for beginners is the gently sloping terrain of the Hardangervidda plateau.
Between early June and mid-July the sun doesn’t set here—a phenomenon known as the midnight sun. Some of the prettiest places to take in this phenomenon are Bodo, Narvik, and Nordkapp in Norway; or while skiing the King’s Trail in northern Sweden. Equally moving (though in a less gleeful way) is the reverse experience at the height of winter, when the Arctic goes completely dark for a few months.
Norway's famous brown goat cheese, Geitost (a sweet, caramel-flavor whey cheese made from goat and cow's milk) and Norvegia (a Norwegian Gouda-like cheese) are on virtually every table. They are eaten in thin slices, cut with a cheese plane or slicer—a Norwegian invention—on buttered wheat or rye bread.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- $299 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 30% OffSheraton Boston
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $3015* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $109 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan HotelSheraton Old San Juan
- $139 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 60%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $702* & up -- Flights to China (Roundtrip, including Tax)China National Tourism Office