News Stories Tagged north carolina
The long Memorial Day weekend has just come and gone, and you're ready to look ahead to your next trip. This time you're going huge: you'll spend a week on the beach, perhaps in a rented cabin, and you're inviting a ton of family and friends. Sounds perfect, right? Well it could be—as long as you can a place that's family-friendly, safe for the kids, and enjoyable for the adults as well. Here are our top suggestions.
Got a rock hound in the family? Consider taking a vacation to one of these geologically rich destinations and you might just find enough gemstones or precious metals to pay for the trip, because you can keep everything you find. Youâ€™re guaranteed to have a good time looking—even if you come up empty.
Put on your ruby red slippers, we're off to see the Wizard. Visit Beech Mountain, North Carolina to walk the Yellow Brick Road and see the abandoned Land of Oz theme park!
The Outer Banks is the best US beach destination you are missing out on. And the best part? The balmy, sunny season stretches into early fall.
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible distance? These 10 trips come with bears, rays, bison, and more!
The US South has a bit of everything. It is a culinary mecca, has stunning scenery, and boasts charming, historic towns to spare. Here are four itineraries for a summertime trip down to Dixie.
No disrespect to the wondrous destination that is California wine country, but we think it's high time to shed light on the rest of the country's wine regions, from Arizona to, yes, even Kentucky.
What's the best way to beat winter blues? Getting the rental process started for this summer's dream beach vacation. In just a few months, you'll be asking, "Why don't we live here all year long?"
It is home to the Biltmore Estate, is cradled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and is known for stellar microbreweries—so why haven't made your way to the relaxed-meets-cool city of Asheville yet?
You head home for Thanksgiving every year—why not get the family together somewhere new? From beachy Kiawah Island to colonial Mystic, these escapes might just inspire new family traditions.
There's something romantic about lighthouses, isn't there? Now's the time of year to voyage to some of the country's most beautiful, from California to Alabama, illuminated by the colors of fall.
It's hard not to dread summer's end. That is, until you remember the technicolor season ahead. Trips like these—from California to Montana—fill the fall with fallen leaves and heaps of fun.
We've all road tripped in four-wheeled vehicles, but what about hitting Route 66 on two wheels? Motorcycle trips are where road trips meet adventure, and these four destinations are great starting points.
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences. And boy did you deliver—here are some of the most life-changing stories you told us.
For some truly fabulous bloom-watching, visit the Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina for their Festival of Flowers.
It’s one thing for a hotel to tout "green" initiatives that smack of sustainability; it’s another thing for properties to actually practice what they preach. We’ve investigated a number of self-proclaimed leaders in the eco-consciousness branch of North America's hotel business. Here are our top picks that leave the others green with envy.
While most Americans spend Thanksgiving at home with family, others hit the road for a true holiday. Here are some of our favorite deals across the U.S., from luxury resorts to cozy inns.
The date 11/11/11 only happens once a century, and hotels are hoping that special deals and discounted prices will spark celebration. Here are some of the best finds in and around North America.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
Revel in the beauty of spring with the brilliant display of wildflowers at Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Before summer gets going and the leaf cover shadows the ground the plants on the forest floor steal the show. Flowers like trillium, lady slipper orchids, flame azalea, violets, jack-in-the-pulpit, and many others are at their brightly-colored peak in mid- to late- April.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- 10 Airlines with In-Flight WiFi
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $399 & up -- Puerto Rico: 4-Star Escape w/$100 Credit & AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $79-$119 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
- $325 -- Oahu: 4-Star Waikiki Beach Resort, 20% OffSheraton Waikiki
- $1675 & up -- 9-Nt. Bangkok, Singapore & Bali Package w/AirTripMasters.com
- $111 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 60%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $1899 & up -- Madrid & Rioja 6-Nt. Wine Tour Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations