News Stories Tagged new zealand
Close your eyes and picture the rustic romance of waking up to a day of foraging, cooking classes, horseback riding, and lazing by the pool. Now read on to find our favorite farm stays around the world.
Hawaiian Airlines announced that it will begin offering routes to and from Honolulu and Auckland, New Zealand in spring 2013. They'll be the only US carrier to offer routes direct from the US to New Zealand.
Heli-hiking, which essentially borrows from the heli-skiing concept—minus the skis or the snow—is quickly gaining ground as the latest bucket-list adventure trend. Here, a few spots where you can fly high on your next hiking trip.
New Zealand's Christchurch has been hit by several earthquakes over the past year but most of the city—and the Canterbury region—is open for business. We've got the scoop on the state of local travel with a brief summary of dining, lodgings, and activities.
From the massive landmass of Australia to the islands of New Zealand, the South Pacific has many unique botanicals that are found nowhere else on earth. With their active lifestyles and increased sun exposure, Aussies and Kiwis understand the power of nature—as traveling skincare enthusiasts will quickly learn. So, the next time you’re Down Under, give your skin a break from surfing or trekking through the bush to explore some of the region’s top skincare products and wellness experiences.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Does your ideal cruise include wine tasting, South Pacific heritage, and spectacular scenery from rainforests to glaciers? If so, now is the perfect time to start planning a New Zealand cruising adventure as the weather warms in the Southern Hemisphere. Here's a taste of the highlights on both the North and South Islands.
You might lose smarty points if you ask dumb sheep questions. "When do you cut their fur?" or "When do their tails fall off?" will elicit laughter: sheep have wool, not fur or hair, and their tails are cut off. You will also be considered quite tedious if you tell "sheep jokes." There isn’t one that they haven’t heard already.
The word "kiwi" refers to either people (New Zealanders) or to the protected kiwi bird, but not the kiwifruit.
Cover up with a long-sleeve shirt, a hat, and long pants or a beach wrap, because the primary health hazard is sunburn or sunstroke, not to mention that little matter of that giant ozone hole. Likewise, avoid dehydration. The wisest approach when dressing is to wear layered outfits. Frequently, particularly at the change of seasons, weather can turn suddenly.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $62 & up -- Anaheim Area Hotel w/Disney Shuttles, 60% OffBookIt.com
- $121 & up -- Downtown Philly Hotel Sale w/Extras, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $949 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 IslandsNorwegian Cruise Line
- $4999 -- Balcony: Alaska Luxury Cruise w/Air & All ToursRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $119 -- Boston: Cambridge Hotel Suite w/Wi-Fi, 35% OffDoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston - Cambridge
- $64 & up -- Savannah Hotels, B&Bs and Inns on Sale, 60% OffVisit Savannah