News Stories Tagged new zealand
New Zealand's Christchurch has been hit by several earthquakes over the past year but most of the city—and the Canterbury region—is open for business. We've got the scoop on the state of local travel with a brief summary of dining, lodgings, and activities.
From the massive landmass of Australia to the islands of New Zealand, the South Pacific has many unique botanicals that are found nowhere else on earth. With their active lifestyles and increased sun exposure, Aussies and Kiwis understand the power of nature—as traveling skincare enthusiasts will quickly learn. So, the next time you’re Down Under, give your skin a break from surfing or trekking through the bush to explore some of the region’s top skincare products and wellness experiences.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Does your ideal cruise include wine tasting, South Pacific heritage, and spectacular scenery from rainforests to glaciers? If so, now is the perfect time to start planning a New Zealand cruising adventure as the weather warms in the Southern Hemisphere. Here's a taste of the highlights on both the North and South Islands.
You might lose smarty points if you ask dumb sheep questions. "When do you cut their fur?" or "When do their tails fall off?" will elicit laughter: sheep have wool, not fur or hair, and their tails are cut off. You will also be considered quite tedious if you tell "sheep jokes." There isn’t one that they haven’t heard already.
The word "kiwi" refers to either people (New Zealanders) or to the protected kiwi bird, but not the kiwifruit.
Cover up with a long-sleeve shirt, a hat, and long pants or a beach wrap, because the primary health hazard is sunburn or sunstroke, not to mention that little matter of that giant ozone hole. Likewise, avoid dehydration. The wisest approach when dressing is to wear layered outfits. Frequently, particularly at the change of seasons, weather can turn suddenly.
Touring wineries in New Zealand is easy, as vineyards stretch virtually the entire length of the country. You're never far from a tasting room. Here are a few of our favorite stops, from grandiose modern wineries to rustic barns.
So you want an adventure, but you'd rather not take out a new life insurance policy. Never fear! From kayaking Puerto Rico's bioluminescent lake to exploring Angkor Wat, here are our favorite adventure trips for 2010.
New Zealand editor Stephanie Butler recently spent a day touring Marlborough's wineries by bike, learning that it is an excellent alternative to the ubiquitous winery tour-by-van operations throughout New Zealand, and a great way to save some cash. Still, the idea of wine and bikes had images of scraped knees and broken sunglasses (or worse) dancing through her head.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways