News Stories Tagged national parks
For 17 days in 2012, admission to more than 100 of the country's National Parks will be free. Popular parks on the list include Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone and Acadia.
With the free Oh, Ranger! ParkFinder app locate National and State parks based on location and activity, such as picnicking or hiking. Search results display suitable public parks, as well as provide directions, weather forecasts, lodging options, and park maps. Perfect for spontaneous weekend outings or long-term vacation planning!
The best place to take a picture of this small but beautiful lighthouse in Acadia National Park is from the rocks below—but watch your step; they can be slippery.
From Arizona to Alaska, we've got the latest National Park Service news about Pee-Wee Rangers, the annual BioBlitz, Civil War Sesquicentennial events—plus fee-free days for savings.
One of the best ways to see this country is by touring the National Parks. Our editors selected the very best Park experiences. Check out our slideshow and tell us if you agree with our choices.
At 1,500 square miles, Yosemite is so large that where you stay greatly affects your plan to explore the park. From grand lodges to romantic inns, we've got the best lodging recommendations, with just the right blend of rustic charm and modern comforts.
Some park entry fees can be as high as $20. Each pass admits the card holder as well as all other persons in your vehicle (or up to three others at places that charge per person rather than per vehicle) to any national park and other designated federal recreational lands, such as U.S. Forests.
Celebrate "America's Best Idea" with free admission to all the U.S. national parks from Saturday, April 16 to Sunday, April 22 as part of National Park Week.
Railroad companies laid track in the early 1900s to lure wealthy Easterners westward—and built luxury hotels at the end of the line. Today, the rails don’t drive tourism to the parks all that much. But the lodges still do. And you don’t have to be wealthy to stay in one.
Planning a family National Park trip this summer? Remember that even the most beautiful scenery can quickly become boring for little ones with short attention spans. Here are some of our top family experiences, from cowboy cookouts to animal encounters, at the most popular national parks.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $183 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Downtown Tribeca Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Tribeca
- $47* & up -- Ends 10/21: One-Day Nationwide Fare Sale, O/WVirgin America
- $139 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Parking, 50% OffWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 50%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $178 & up -- Holidays at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $99 & up -- Virginia: Leaf-Peeping Hotel Deals , Save 45%Virginia Tourism