News Stories Tagged national parks
With the free Oh, Ranger! ParkFinder app locate National and State parks based on location and activity, such as picnicking or hiking. Search results display suitable public parks, as well as provide directions, weather forecasts, lodging options, and park maps. Perfect for spontaneous weekend outings or long-term vacation planning!
The best place to take a picture of this small but beautiful lighthouse in Acadia National Park is from the rocks below—but watch your step; they can be slippery.
From Arizona to Alaska, we've got the latest National Park Service news about Pee-Wee Rangers, the annual BioBlitz, Civil War Sesquicentennial events—plus fee-free days for savings.
One of the best ways to see this country is by touring the National Parks. Our editors selected the very best Park experiences. Check out our slideshow and tell us if you agree with our choices.
At 1,500 square miles, Yosemite is so large that where you stay greatly affects your plan to explore the park. From grand lodges to romantic inns, we've got the best lodging recommendations, with just the right blend of rustic charm and modern comforts.
Some park entry fees can be as high as $20. Each pass admits the card holder as well as all other persons in your vehicle (or up to three others at places that charge per person rather than per vehicle) to any national park and other designated federal recreational lands, such as U.S. Forests.
Celebrate "America's Best Idea" with free admission to all the U.S. national parks from Saturday, April 16 to Sunday, April 22 as part of National Park Week.
Railroad companies laid track in the early 1900s to lure wealthy Easterners westward—and built luxury hotels at the end of the line. Today, the rails don’t drive tourism to the parks all that much. But the lodges still do. And you don’t have to be wealthy to stay in one.
Planning a family National Park trip this summer? Remember that even the most beautiful scenery can quickly become boring for little ones with short attention spans. Here are some of our top family experiences, from cowboy cookouts to animal encounters, at the most popular national parks.
Most visitors to the Grand Canyon are lucky if they even get to glimpse a sliver of the Colorado River below during their whirlwind three-hour tour of the South Rim. However, putting yourself at the mercy of the river and exploring the depths of the canyon from aboard a raft is an entirely different, and otherworldly, experience. No other rafting trip combines so many days of staggering scenery, whitewater thrills, and magical hikes.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $330* & up -- Flights to St. Maarten into Fall (R/T, w/Tax)St. Maarten Tourism Bureau
- $419 & up -- Bahamas Escape w/Atlantis Access & Air, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $103-$126 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $183 & up -- Manhattan Westin near Grand Central, Save 60%The Westin New York Grand Central
- $1792 & up -- Bali & Singapore 6 Nights. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $539 & up -- La Romana: 4-Star All-Incl. 'Dreams' Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com