News Stories Tagged national parks
Most visitors to the Grand Canyon are lucky if they even get to glimpse a sliver of the Colorado River below during their whirlwind three-hour tour of the South Rim. However, putting yourself at the mercy of the river and exploring the depths of the canyon from aboard a raft is an entirely different, and otherworldly, experience. No other rafting trip combines so many days of staggering scenery, whitewater thrills, and magical hikes.
It's amazing how much you can see from your car. Whether you're in Maine, where you can be at the top of Cadillac Mountain when the sun's rays first hit the United States, or driving along the world's highest continuously-paved highway in the Rocky Mountains, the incredible accessibility of the American wilderness will blow you away. Here are some of our favorite U.S. national park drives.
National Parks are green travel and eco-tourism hotspots. Just by paying your entrance fee, you're supporting the park system and helping to preserve it for future visitors. But some parks are doing even more in the name of sustainability. Here are some eco-tips to help make your next national park visit even more green.
Road-tripping through California? Considering a jaunt out to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas? If you're like many travelers, you love the National Parks but you don't have more than a day to devote to each one. Time is of the essence. So, without further ado, here's how we recommend visiting five of the west coast's top national parks—each in a single day.
You don't have to wait until summer vacation for your National Park getaway. If you start planning a winter trip to the right one now you'll be packing your bathing suit, not your hat and gloves. Indeed, some locations can be too hot to visit in the summer months—so now is the perfect time to go.
With so many natural wonders in one state, it's easy to overlook some of the smaller parks with lesser designations. In short: go beyond the Grand Canyon!
Fodor's recently spoke with Ken Burns about the new National Parks documentary. Here, he shares his most treasured hiking experience, his pick for must-see park, and more.
There are so many great parks in the Southwest—Zion, Bryce, Arches, Mesa Verde, and the Grand Canyon are the most popular—it can be hard to choose which one(s) to visit. Luckily, now is the perfect time to go—and you can probably see them all, by focusing your road trip on the Four Corners region.
Vibrant red and yellows combined with cooler temperatures make Fall the perfect time to visit many National Parks. While the Eastern parks have the advantage here, golden aspens also attract leaf peepers to western parks too. Here's the breakdown on some of the best National Parks for autumn visits.
Some National Parks have unique backcountry lodging options: ranches, camps, and even chalets. Staying in one is somewhere between staying in a campground and staying in a great lodge. After a rewarding—and often challenging—trail, you'll leave the crowds behind and get closer to nature while still having a bed to sleep in.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways