News Stories Tagged national parks
Celebrate "America's Best Idea" with free admission to all the U.S. national parks from Saturday, April 16 to Sunday, April 22 as part of National Park Week.
Railroad companies laid track in the early 1900s to lure wealthy Easterners westward—and built luxury hotels at the end of the line. Today, the rails don’t drive tourism to the parks all that much. But the lodges still do. And you don’t have to be wealthy to stay in one.
Planning a family National Park trip this summer? Remember that even the most beautiful scenery can quickly become boring for little ones with short attention spans. Here are some of our top family experiences, from cowboy cookouts to animal encounters, at the most popular national parks.
Most visitors to the Grand Canyon are lucky if they even get to glimpse a sliver of the Colorado River below during their whirlwind three-hour tour of the South Rim. However, putting yourself at the mercy of the river and exploring the depths of the canyon from aboard a raft is an entirely different, and otherworldly, experience. No other rafting trip combines so many days of staggering scenery, whitewater thrills, and magical hikes.
It's amazing how much you can see from your car. Whether you're in Maine, where you can be at the top of Cadillac Mountain when the sun's rays first hit the United States, or driving along the world's highest continuously-paved highway in the Rocky Mountains, the incredible accessibility of the American wilderness will blow you away. Here are some of our favorite U.S. national park drives.
National Parks are green travel and eco-tourism hotspots. Just by paying your entrance fee, you're supporting the park system and helping to preserve it for future visitors. But some parks are doing even more in the name of sustainability. Here are some eco-tips to help make your next national park visit even more green.
Road-tripping through California? Considering a jaunt out to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas? If you're like many travelers, you love the National Parks but you don't have more than a day to devote to each one. Time is of the essence. So, without further ado, here's how we recommend visiting five of the west coast's top national parks—each in a single day.
You don't have to wait until summer vacation for your National Park getaway. If you start planning a winter trip to the right one now you'll be packing your bathing suit, not your hat and gloves. Indeed, some locations can be too hot to visit in the summer months—so now is the perfect time to go.
With so many natural wonders in one state, it's easy to overlook some of the smaller parks with lesser designations. In short: go beyond the Grand Canyon!
Fodor's recently spoke with Ken Burns about the new National Parks documentary. Here, he shares his most treasured hiking experience, his pick for must-see park, and more.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com