News Stories Tagged morocco
People come first; the actions to be accomplished are secondary. Moroccans shake hands with each other every time they meet. Nothing can happen without politeness: if you have a problem and lose your temper, you give up hope of solving it.
Official guides have a badge to prove it and cost about 300 DH a day. The rates of unofficial guides are negotiable, and you should fix them in advance. In places like Fez you’ll find you need a guide just to protect yourself from being approached by other guides.
You must negotiate when purchasing Moroccan specialties. There’s no rule for the percentage by which you should aim to reduce the price, because some vendors start with a decent price and others start by inflating the price ten- or twenty-fold. Any kind of intermediary, like a guide, will inflate the price.
The Muslim calendar is lunar, and dates for Ramadan and other religious holidays shift back 11 days each year. Non-Muslim travelers will probably want to avoid a visit at this time. During this monthlong fast all cafés and nearly all restaurants are closed during the day, and the pace of work is reduced.
They're simply not acceptable for either sex anywhere in Morocco, except at the beach. Although this is a moderate Islamic society, it is best to adhere to modest dress in public.
Moroccans shake hands with each other every time they meet. Nothing can happen without politeness: if you have a problem and lose your temper, you give up hope of solving it. A combination of courtesy and persistence is the best approach. Remember that people come first; the actions to be accomplished are secondary.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2014
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- 7 Reasons to Go to Miami this Winter
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
- Weekend Escape: Holiday Shopping in NYC
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- American Airlines Introduces New Transcontinental Fleet
- Mexico City's Coolest New Museums
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1370* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $593-$625* -- Fly to Martinique from NYC (R/T incl. Tax)Martinique Promotion Bureau
- $124 -- Kauai: Beachfront Plantation-Style Resort, 20% OffAston Islander on the Beach
- $985 & up -- Riviera Maya 4-Star Trip w/Air + $500 CreditLiberty Travel
- $206 -- Maui Resort on Kaanapali Beach, Save $133Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach