News Stories Tagged money matters
There's no getting around the fact that a summer trip to Europe is a fantastic, yet pricey endeavor with growing airline and fuel fees. So we're here to help with these key ways to save.
Earth Day is right around the corner and we're celebrating the only way we know how—by booking imaginary trips to some of the world's greatest eco-friendly hotels in stunning locales. Join us!
Norway's capital tops lots of lists, usually of "the world's most expensive cities." But that doesn't mean budget travelers have to avoid it completely, it just means getting creative.
Amsterdam is a city where high and low are happy neighbors, making it easy for all travelers to hop on a bicycle, taste delicious Dutch cheeses, picnic by the canals, and soak in some culture.
Topographically, hilly Hong Kong is a place of highs and lows. And the same can be said of the city cost-wise. But if you plan your trip right (with our top tips), you'll be splurging and saving in all the right places.
Our favorite financial expert is back to give us some solid tips on how to save big money on upcoming winter trips, whether they're road trips to Grandma's house or international jaunts.
Feel like relocating? Check out this list before you pack—Eurocost International has released their 30 most expensive cities in the world for expats.
Maui's got it all—from plush resorts to boutique-y beachfront stays; romantic eateries to shack-like cafes. So here are our top picks for when to splurge and where to save.
With the Golden Gate Bridge, a cutting edge food scene, and famous fog, San Francisco is one of the most iconic and notoriously pricey cities. Here's where to splurge and save in the City by the Bay
You'd be hard-pressed to find a more convenient and cost-effective way of seeing multiple sights over a week's vacation than a cruise. Here are the 10 best tips for maximizing those cruising dollars.
Before the blur of turkey, wrapping presents, and champagne begins, take note of our expert's advice on how to save money on your holiday travels. Its all about planning ahead (a bit) and being flexible.
Planning a big trip overseas? Make sure you're up on all the top tips and tricks for saving a few bucks before you go. Some of our expert's advice might surprise you, so study up.
Allegiant Airlines is the latest low-cost domestic carrier to begin charging customers for their carry-ons, following Spirit Airlines similar move in 2010. While you're still allowed one personal item, such as a purse or laptop bag, bringing smaller suitcases on board is no longer the guaranteed way to avoid baggage fees.
After JetBlue increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket.
You can charge anything you buy at Disneyland or Disneyland California Adventure, such as food and souvenirs, to your room, so you don't have to carry around a lot of cash.
Hotels, restaurants, shops, and tour operators in Belize sometimes levy a surcharge for credit card use, usually 5%, but fees can range from 2% to 10%.
Before you charge something, ask the merchant whether or not he or she plans to do a dynamic currency conversion (DCC).
The dollar is the de facto currency; the Panamanians refer to it as the balboa, named for explorer Vasco Nuñez de Balboa who "discovered" the Pacific Ocean and claimed it for Spain.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner.
Some park entry fees can be as high as $20. Each pass admits the card holder as well as all other persons in your vehicle (or up to three others at places that charge per person rather than per vehicle) to any national park and other designated federal recreational lands, such as U.S. Forests.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2544* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- Up to 10% Off -- Europe Car Rentals through SummerEnterprise
- $1599 -- Alaska 11-Night Cruise & Hotel Package, Save $860CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $69 & up -- Orlando Resort Sale through Summer, Save 50%Visit Orlando
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% OffHomewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown
- $142-$152 -- Santiago Chile Hotel incl. Breakfast & Wi-FiHyatt Place Santiago/Vitacura