News Stories Tagged money matters
Before the blur of turkey, wrapping presents, and champagne begins, take note of our expert's advice on how to save money on your holiday travels. Its all about planning ahead (a bit) and being flexible.
Planning a big trip overseas? Make sure you're up on all the top tips and tricks for saving a few bucks before you go. Some of our expert's advice might surprise you, so study up.
Allegiant Airlines is the latest low-cost domestic carrier to begin charging customers for their carry-ons, following Spirit Airlines similar move in 2010. While you're still allowed one personal item, such as a purse or laptop bag, bringing smaller suitcases on board is no longer the guaranteed way to avoid baggage fees.
After JetBlue increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket.
You can charge anything you buy at Disneyland or Disneyland California Adventure, such as food and souvenirs, to your room, so you don't have to carry around a lot of cash.
Hotels, restaurants, shops, and tour operators in Belize sometimes levy a surcharge for credit card use, usually 5%, but fees can range from 2% to 10%.
Before you charge something, ask the merchant whether or not he or she plans to do a dynamic currency conversion (DCC).
The dollar is the de facto currency; the Panamanians refer to it as the balboa, named for explorer Vasco Nuñez de Balboa who "discovered" the Pacific Ocean and claimed it for Spain.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner.
Some park entry fees can be as high as $20. Each pass admits the card holder as well as all other persons in your vehicle (or up to three others at places that charge per person rather than per vehicle) to any national park and other designated federal recreational lands, such as U.S. Forests.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 5 Reasons to Visit El Salvador
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Craziest Bar Concepts
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- $1190 & up -- Ireland Road Trip w/5-Star Hotels, Car & AirGreat Value Vacations
- $171 & up -- S.C. 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 45%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $94 & up -- Atlanta Area Hotels on Sale through SpringStarwood Hotels & Resorts
- $179 & up -- Bahamas Atlantis thru Spring w/$200 in CreditAtlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $1499 -- 7-Nt. All-Inclusive Europe River Cruise, $2100 OffCMV River Cruises
- $149-$159 -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan HotelSheraton Old San Juan