News Stories Tagged maryland
Got cabin fever? Just because the temperature is dropping doesn't mean the outdoorsy fun has to stop. Take a page from these weird and wacky festivals around the country, and celebrate the snow.
"Crabcakes and football—it's what Maryland does!" Wedding Crashers is right, but there's even more to Maryland and this summer is the perfect time to explore it all.
We don't like it either, but summer is nearing its end. There is one last hurrah we can all plan ahead for, though, and that's Labor Day. Here are the top deals to book now to finish up summer right.
Make a visit to the National Pinball Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, which features approximately 100 pinball machines, 50 of which are available to play.
At the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, park on the street or in the public parking lot.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
From the first shots fired on Fort Sumter to the surrender at Appomattox Court House, the Civil War Sesquicentennial will commemorate this tumultuous period in U.S. history. Many of the famous battlefields and historic sites are preserved for today's visitors.
This month marks the 145th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Ulysses S. Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse. Yet you don't have to be a history buff to appreciate the significance of these seminal venues; in ways large and small, they helped determine the course of U.S. history.
In celebration of July 4th, Fodor's member MRand posed a question to fellow travelers in the United States forum: "What's the most impressive U.S. history site you've seen?". Over 75 nominations were posted. Unsurprisingly, many of the sites could be found in the country's capital, Washington, D.C., but there were also several located elsewhere in the U.S. and around the world. Below are just a few of the sites mentioned by members, as well as their description of their visit's experience.... What site do you think belongs on this list? Add your nomination...
MonticelloCharlottesville, VA... "Monticello. On a fall morning, fog covering the valley below, only about a dozen people there" -- mrand... Have you been here? Rate and review this experience... The Lincoln MemorialWashington, D.C.... "The Lincoln Memorial - not only for all the obvious reasons - but also because of it's later symbolic associations - including Marion Anderson's concert there after being barred from using the DAR Hall because she...
A great way to see some of the best lighthouses on the East Coast...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1100* & up -- Fly to Chile from Across the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Fly & Drive Package w/Castle StayAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $1145 & up -- Ireland 7-Nt. 4-City Package w/Air, HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1008 & up -- 8-Nt. Costa Rica Volcano, Forest & Beach w/AirTripMasters.com
- $929 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star Seaside Family Getaway w/AirApple Vacations
- $1205 & up -- Big Island & Maui 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com