News Stories Tagged maine
Whether you're into painting, prints, photography, or fashion, major American museums from Los Angeles to Prouts Neck, Maine, are hosting exceptional art shows worth traveling for this year. We've picked the eight best, on now through the end of 2012, so you can plan ahead for art-filled weekend getaways from coast to coast.
On the last day of 2011, we thought looking back at our favorite slideshow photos would inspire travel in the year to come. Collectively, we journeyed to dozens of destinations, and our snapshots span the globe—from Italy's beautiful gardens along the Amalfi Coast, to Switzerland's charming countryside, to Hawaii's incredible natural wonders.
Every September and October, leaf peepers arrive to cruise along country lanes, join outdoor adventures, or simply stroll on town greens. We've got the basics to plan your trip, from tips to help predict the peak to downloadable Itineraries.
The best place to take a picture of this small but beautiful lighthouse in Acadia National Park is from the rocks below—but watch your step; they can be slippery.
Weekend traffic heading to the Maine Coast along its feeder roads, I–95 and U.S. 1, can be brutally frustrating, especially at the tollbooths. If you travel midweek instead (or outside of peak season), you won't find yourself nearly as stymied.
In New England, shoppers can pick up serious antiques or quirky bric-a-brac in old mills and converted barns. Or hit funky galleries or annual craft fairs to meet artisans and buy one-of-a-kind products.
Long, wide beaches edge the New England coast from southern Maine to southern Connecticut, with dozens dotting the shores of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. The waters are at their warmest in August, though they’re cold even at the height of summer along much of Maine.
It's amazing how much you can see from your car. Whether you're in Maine, where you can be at the top of Cadillac Mountain when the sun's rays first hit the United States, or driving along the world's highest continuously-paved highway in the Rocky Mountains, the incredible accessibility of the American wilderness will blow you away. Here are some of our favorite U.S. national park drives.
The long Memorial Day weekend has just come and gone, and you're ready to look ahead to your next trip. This time you're going huge: you'll spend a week on the beach, perhaps in a rented cabin, and you're inviting a ton of family and friends. Sounds perfect, right? Well it could be—as long as you can a place that's family-friendly, safe for the kids, and enjoyable for the adults as well. Here are our top suggestions.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways