News Stories Tagged literary
Fans of Shakespeare's plays, Dickens' prose, Doyle's mysteries, and Keats' poetry will have plenty to see when touring the English capital.
Ernest Hemingway was not only a great writer; he was also an ambitious traveler who spent extended periods of time in Paris, Madrid, Pamplona, Venice, Havana, and Key West.
Novelist Johanna Lane, a native of Ireland, shares some of her favorite spots off the well-trodden tourist route.
For a pint and a healthy dose of Irish literary history, head to one of these historic Dublin sites, many of which have been frequented by the greatest Irish writers in history.
New York's taverns, bars, and cafes have harbored the city's literati for over 200 years. Check out the city's top 10 watering holes for poets and writers.
Italian novelist and screenwriter Francesca Marciano shares her expert tips on eating, shopping, and traveling in Italy's Salento region.
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native South Africa.
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall Smith shares five essential experiences on the island.
In the fashionable streets of Le Marias lie remnants from Paris's sometimes turbulent history. Here, author and professor Eric Jager highlights landmarks and scenes from the city's medieval past.
Famous writers have called Paris home throughout history, and many of their favorite bars and restaurants remain essentially unchanged. Wine and dine in their honor at these 10 spots.
Author, artist, and expat Janice MacLeod shares her top insider tips for strolling around the City of Light.
Author Lorànt Deutsch dives into Paris's long history by examining different stops on the Métro, which he says represents the city’s central nervous system.
Even if you're not the most observant tourist, it's hard not to take notice of the literary history that abounds in Madrid. Here are five essential stops on any literary tour of Spain's capital.
This winter, consider making your escape to Martinique. With newly expanded air service, a major literary milestone, and some of the best rums in the region, this French-Caribbean island beckons.
Literary heavyweights like Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, and Robert Frost have all called the Floriday Keys home, and their influence is still visible on the islands today via these six places and events.
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological adventures on the storied Greek island, from his first visit 25 years ago through to today.
You know it for stunning gorilla treks, but if that's all you know of Rwanda, you're missing out. The country's on a major progressive upswing and now's the time to discover its many other treasures. Here, author and local expat Josh Ruxin gives the inside track.
Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown are the breeding ground of one of America's quintessential ghost stories. Follow the Headless Horseman's trail through true Halloween country in New York's Hudson Valley.
Amsterdam has an incredible past, enticing sights, and tasty cuisine. Resident expat Russell Shorto, whose new book traces its idiosyncratic history, shares his favorite experiences in the world's most liberal city.
Minnesota, with its gorgeous scenery, charming small towns, and flat terrain, is the perfect place for a road trip. Author Amy Thielen divulges her favorite in-state road trip with stops for everything from candy cigarettes to house-smoked Lake Superior fish.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $203 & up -- S.C.: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 35% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $159 & up -- Bahamas Long Weekend Cruises incl. NassauNorwegian Cruise Line
- $199 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 65%The Westin Chicago River North
- $700* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $221 & up -- Maine: 4-Star Portland Waterfront HotelThe Westin Portland Harborview
- $499 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruise on Holland AmericaAmerican Express Travel