News Stories Tagged literary
Next month marks the sesquicentennial (say that 3 times fast) anniversary of the Civil War battle at Gettysburg. To celebrate, here's a guide to the key sights on the field and in town.
If you're lucky enough to be on some of golf's more storied fairways, you may not be thinking about what you'll do off the course. But John Dunn, former caddy and now author, gives us 5 solid reasons to stray...a little.
Go beyond Cabo San Lucas and discover the real Baja in towns like Todos Santos and Pescadero. Think empty beaches, no-name taco stands, stunning hiking trails, and nightly pink sunsets.
The Isle of Jersey today is a tax haven and vacation spot. But in Victor Hugo's day, it was a mystical island and was his home after political exile from France. Author M.J. Rose returned to Hugo's Jersey to research her latest novel. Here she unearths her best finds.
Author and Greek culinary guru Henriette Lazaridis Power peels back the curtain on some of the best Greek dishes and drinks we've never heard of. Believe us, it's high time we got past baklava.
Author Broughton Coburn knows more than a thing or two about Mt. Everest. He's the author of several books on the subject, including the recent The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest. Here, he pulls the curtain back on what you can really expect from climbing Everest. (Plus, there's a sweepstakes!)
If you're getting ready for a long-awaited, sun-drenched trip to Morocco (or if you're simply dreaming of a far-off land) you'll want to pick up one of these illuminating reads before you go.
Whether you're a veteran Rome traveler or a first-timer, we highly recommend taking time to soak up the local culture. Break away from the tour guides and check out some of these overlooked spots.
In the fall of 1888, Nellie Bly (a young, undercover reporter) pitched a story to her editor—that she would try to go around the world in eighty days or less. Matthew Goodman, author of the new book Eighty Days, touches on how she did it and, more importantly, what she packed.
Setting off on safari means prepping for adventure, beauty, and the unexpected. Pick a read that fits your trip, from the history of the African continent to fictional stories of love and intrigue.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1555 & up -- London: 4-Night Getaway w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $49 & up -- Atlantic City Hotel Sale incl. Extras & CreditsAtlantic City
- $719 & up -- 7-Night Canada & New England Cruise, $575 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $1843 & up -- Spain: 6-Nt., 2-City w/Air & Wine TastingsGreat Value Vacations
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations