News Stories Tagged literary
Author and actress Dagmara Dominczyk takes her family to her native Poland on the regular, so when it came time to plan a summertime road trip, she knew just where to turn. Herewith, her idyllic Polish country road trip. (And a plea for the rest of us to follow suit.)
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familiar with. But, as author Andrew Carroll discovered, some major events in our country's history happened at places that have long been forgotten.
Next month marks the sesquicentennial (say that 3 times fast) anniversary of the Civil War battle at Gettysburg. To celebrate, here's a guide to the key sights on the field and in town.
If you're lucky enough to be on some of golf's more storied fairways, you may not be thinking about what you'll do off the course. But John Dunn, former caddy and now author, gives us 5 solid reasons to stray...a little.
Go beyond Cabo San Lucas and discover the real Baja in towns like Todos Santos and Pescadero. Think empty beaches, no-name taco stands, stunning hiking trails, and nightly pink sunsets.
The Isle of Jersey today is a tax haven and vacation spot. But in Victor Hugo's day, it was a mystical island and was his home after political exile from France. Author M.J. Rose returned to Hugo's Jersey to research her latest novel. Here she unearths her best finds.
Author and Greek culinary guru Henriette Lazaridis Power peels back the curtain on some of the best Greek dishes and drinks we've never heard of. Believe us, it's high time we got past baklava.
Author Broughton Coburn knows more than a thing or two about Mt. Everest. He's the author of several books on the subject, including the recent The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest. Here, he pulls the curtain back on what you can really expect from climbing Everest. (Plus, there's a sweepstakes!)
If you're getting ready for a long-awaited, sun-drenched trip to Morocco (or if you're simply dreaming of a far-off land) you'll want to pick up one of these illuminating reads before you go.
Whether you're a veteran Rome traveler or a first-timer, we highly recommend taking time to soak up the local culture. Break away from the tour guides and check out some of these overlooked spots.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Cancun: 3-Nt. All-Incl. Vacation w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $129 & up -- Palm Springs Esmeralda 4-Star Resort, Save 35%Renaissance Esmeralda Indian Wells Resort & Spa
- $77 & up -- Suite at North Myrtle Beach Resort, 40% OffBeach Cove Resort
- $169 & up -- Weekend Cruise to Baja Mexico on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Lines
- $956 & up -- Aruba: 5-Nt. Vacation Packages w/AirApple Vacations