News Stories Tagged life changing trips
Traveling solo for the first time can be intimidating, but a healthy dose of encouragement from veteran solo travelers, along with some of their best practical advice, should set your mind at ease. Below are a few pointers to keep in mind as you plan your solo escape. Curious about solo travel? We think it can be so life-changing that we've devoted an entire Forum to the topic. Check it out. Make use of the staff. "I tend to go to a restaurant during off-peak hours, when the staff has more time to answer questions about the area and offer tips. These folks are locals and have a different view of things compared to a tour guide." -- shared by SamH on "Favorite Tips for handling the difficult parts of traveling alone?" You don't need to be single to go solo. "I usually think of 'solo' travelers as single people! I'm a solo traveler, but am very happily married. It's just that sometimes my husband goes east and I go west!!" -- shared by simpsonc510 on "What is the longest trip you've taken
The Bucket List, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, won't be winning any Academy Awards. Yet the movie's premise is generating a lot of water-cooler buzz. It seems everyone is now feverishly compiling a list of the top travel experiences they want to have before kicking the bucket. Here are a few of ours. Travel Talk: How will you fit in your trip "musts"? Do you have a five-year plan for travel? Sail Away: Cruises are great fun, but sometimes you want to really feel like you're in a boat. Atlantic Stars offers a ship to suit whatever nautical fantasy you may have, from the classic speedboat Rum Runner II, which zips around Newport, Rhode Island, to the 160-foot sailing cruise yacht Arabella, (photo, right) which embarks from St. Thomas and other Caribbean ports during the winter months. Rates for a fabulous five-star, six-night sailboat cruise start at $1,395. Escape the Urban Jungle: City life can wither your soul, but an African safari will help you get back to reality. Smithsonian
Contributors to Fodor's Forums discuss the trips that changed their lives . . .
Thinking of traveling with a mother or a daughter? A sister or gal-pal? Here are some ground rules...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Things Not to Do on a Cruise
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best Safaris in the U.S.
- $2799 -- Luxe 8-Night Italy, Croatia & Greece Cruise w/AirOceania Cruises
- $1190 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Trip w/Air, Car & 4-Star HotelsGreat Value Vacations
- $235 & up -- 5-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Hotel, 25% OffThe Beloved Hotel
- $209-$249 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $129 -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel incl. WeekendsCartwright Hotel Union Square
- $1379 & up -- Costa Rica Adults-Only All-Incl. Trip w/AirApple Vacations