News Stories Tagged life changing trips
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead of January. Book Insignia's 180-day World Odyssey, embarking from Miami in July 2015.
Beyond Cape Town, Kruger, and Franschhoek lies the Garden Route. Lush landscapes, gorgeous animals, and lazy sundowners await you on this once-in-a-lifetime road trip in South Africa.
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences. And boy did you deliver—here are some of the most life-changing stories you told us.
We've sniffed, sipped, and spit; we've tasted; and we've slept it off. Without further ado, the ultimate insider's guide to wine country, from Napa to Calistoga and what lies between.
Fodor's recently caught up with actress Penelope Wilton (Downton Abbey, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) to talk about her travel passions, which range from the colorful, frenetic streets of India to the bucolic countryside of France's Auvergne.
Vacations do the body (and soul) good, and none more so than volunteer trips. They are among the best ways to really see, and connect with, the world. So we rounded up a few choice trips to get you started.
For romantics looking for the perfect one-day tour of Paris and neighboring Versailles, Eloisa James, author of Paris in Love: A Memoir, has whipped up a dreamy itinerary.
Unfolding on the fringes of the ring-shaped auroral oval that circles the globe's Arctic realms, the aurora borealis phenomenon—a mystical apparition of glowing bands that float and spiral overhead (really solar particles bouncing off the earth's magnetic field)—can't help but inspire the imagination of all who bear witness to its splendor. A trek into the Alaska wilderness's bone-chilling winter wonderland affords optimum viewing conditions, particularly in the state's northern reaches. We've rounded up four unique opportunities to combine northern lights viewing with an extra boost of only-in-Alaska adventure.
Sabbaticals offer some lucky workers opportunities for extended travel, but that’s not the only option for those in the workforce craving more time away than a simple week’s vacation allows for. A career break can also come in the form of a leave of absence or simply time between jobs. Think of it like a gap year—breaks from studying, long popular in Europe—for grown-ups. Read on for our career break 101 tutorial to help you make those long-term travel dreams a reality.
With mid-cruise voyages to distant landlocked spots as well as uncommon ports of call closer to home, here are some top choices for the most unique cruising itineraries of 2012.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $728 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5-Nts. w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $79 & up -- Orlando Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $145 & up -- San Diego Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $43 -- CA: Six Flags Magic Mountain Day Pass, Reg. $68Visit Santa Clarita
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations