News Stories Tagged kauai
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. They stick around from December through May, making that the best time to go see them up close in all their glory.
So you think you know Kauai? You've sunbathed on Poipu Beach and golfed in Princeville, sure. But have you ever explored the depths of Waimea Canyon? Welcome to the other side of the island.
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé. Search out "La Vie Bohème" island-style instead, where you can skip out on urban smog in favor of sunshine, and forgo the standard island mega-resorts for artsy, rustic digs. We've rounded up seven island destinations that will have you letting loose and reconnecting with the good life in no time.
A really good film will take you places, sending you not just on an emotional or intellectual journey, but also transporting you to the film’s locale, thanks to its strong sense of place. From this year’s list of Academy Award-nominated films, travel takes a front-seat view, transporting you from the Hawaiian tropics to small-town Mississippi, and from exotic Bangkok to the old train stations of Paris and London. Read on for a roundup of some of this year's most transporting film locations.
Boutiques in Oahu, Kauai, and Maui are dedicating ample rack space to the best pieces from local designers. Whether searching for a strappy evening dress or a sleek swimsuit, we've got your shopping needs covered with a curated list of places to hit.
If you’re ready to escape the chilly weather for warm sand, tropical cocktails, and stunning sunsets, we can help. As winter descends on the mainland, Fodor’s is turning its sights to warm-weather escapes, delivering dazzling weekly deals. Here are three of the Hawaii packages we like best.
We’re giving five lucky Fodorites the chance to win two tickets to see the film, copies of The Descendants book and Fodor’s Hawaii 2012, and more.
If you look at a globe, you’ll notice that, yes, Hawai‘i is in the middle of the ocean, and then you’ll realize that it’s also a connecting point between East and West. Over the centuries, as people have migrated, the islands have become a melting pot not only of cultures but of healing practices as well.
Try to take advantage of the many roadside scenic overlooks and pull over to take in the constantly changing view. Don't try to pack too much into one day.
With over 50 miles of sandy shores—more than any other Hawaiian island—Kaua‘i is a beach bum’s dream. It’s easy to give in to "Hawai‘i time" and spend your trip relaxing on the sand. Here are some of our top places to park your beach towel.
With over 50 miles of sandy shores—more than any other Hawaiian island—Kaua'i is a beach bum's dream. It's easy to give in to "Hawai'i time" and spend your trip relaxing at spots like Hanalei Bay (pictured) on the North Shore. But you'll miss out on some of Kaua'i's most exciting activities if you're parked on the sand the whole time. Here are five ways to get off your beach towel and experience some of the island's top adventures.
Should you try to fit another island into your trip or stay put? Tough call. Although none of the islands are more than thirty minutes away from another by air, security hassles, transport, and check-in all swallow up precious vacation hours. If you've got less than a week, you might want to stay put. But if you're considering a longer stay in Hawaii—and we hope you are—here are some ideas for ways to expand your trip.
Hawaii is heaven for travelers who never stop exploring. Here are our favorite places to surf, hike, and everything in between.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1275 & up -- U.S. River Cruises w/Hotel Stay, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $1499 -- Suite: Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$1250 in ExtrasCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $160-$175 -- Jamaica: New Adults-Only All-Inclusive ResortHotel Riu Palace Jamaica
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% OffHomewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown
- $794 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise w/$100 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $8.50 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com