News Stories Tagged kauai
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. They stick around from December through May, making that the best time to go see them up close in all their glory.
So you think you know Kauai? You've sunbathed on Poipu Beach and golfed in Princeville, sure. But have you ever explored the depths of Waimea Canyon? Welcome to the other side of the island.
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé. Search out "La Vie Bohème" island-style instead, where you can skip out on urban smog in favor of sunshine, and forgo the standard island mega-resorts for artsy, rustic digs. We've rounded up seven island destinations that will have you letting loose and reconnecting with the good life in no time.
A really good film will take you places, sending you not just on an emotional or intellectual journey, but also transporting you to the film’s locale, thanks to its strong sense of place. From this year’s list of Academy Award-nominated films, travel takes a front-seat view, transporting you from the Hawaiian tropics to small-town Mississippi, and from exotic Bangkok to the old train stations of Paris and London. Read on for a roundup of some of this year's most transporting film locations.
Boutiques in Oahu, Kauai, and Maui are dedicating ample rack space to the best pieces from local designers. Whether searching for a strappy evening dress or a sleek swimsuit, we've got your shopping needs covered with a curated list of places to hit.
If you’re ready to escape the chilly weather for warm sand, tropical cocktails, and stunning sunsets, we can help. As winter descends on the mainland, Fodor’s is turning its sights to warm-weather escapes, delivering dazzling weekly deals. Here are three of the Hawaii packages we like best.
We’re giving five lucky Fodorites the chance to win two tickets to see the film, copies of The Descendants book and Fodor’s Hawaii 2012, and more.
If you look at a globe, you’ll notice that, yes, Hawai‘i is in the middle of the ocean, and then you’ll realize that it’s also a connecting point between East and West. Over the centuries, as people have migrated, the islands have become a melting pot not only of cultures but of healing practices as well.
Try to take advantage of the many roadside scenic overlooks and pull over to take in the constantly changing view. Don't try to pack too much into one day.
With over 50 miles of sandy shores—more than any other Hawaiian island—Kaua‘i is a beach bum’s dream. It’s easy to give in to "Hawai‘i time" and spend your trip relaxing on the sand. Here are some of our top places to park your beach towel.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $235 & up -- S.C. 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $409 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $999 -- Huatulco 7-Night 'Dreams' All-Inclusive VacationApple Vacations
- $1411 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Trip w/Car from OrlandoGreat Value Vacations
- $2539 & up -- Greece: Escorted 4-Star Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations