News Stories Tagged israel
If you’re staying at a hotel, expect a substantial (even extravagant) buffet with breads and rolls, yogurts, hummus, cheeses, fresh vegetables and chopped salads, fruits, and even American-style foods such as pancakes and granola. This Israel breakfast is often included in the room price, but check. Some cafes serve the same spread. It’s enough to hold you for hours.
Muslim sites are closed to tourists on Friday, the Muslim holy day. Avoid the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City between noon and 2 pm on Friday, when the flow of worshippers in the streets can be uncomfortable or even rowdy. Some Christian sites close on Sunday; others open after morning worship. Jewish religious sites, and some museums and historical sites, close midday Friday and remain closed through Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath).
You can get almost anywhere in Israel by bus, and the central bus station is a fixture in most towns. Ask for the tahana merkazit. The Egged bus cooperative handles all bus routes, except those in Tel Aviv, where Dan operates. Fares are a flat-rate per journey, not based on distance. For both local and intercity travel, bus drivers accept payment for tickets (payable only in shekels). They don't make change for a bill over NIS 50. It's faster to buy tickets at the bus station.
Markets like Jerusalem's Old City souk are full of local color, with exotic spices, fresh-baked delicacies, embroidered dresses, tourist baubles, and more. When bargaining, offer half the requested price, but be ready to walk out if you can't agree. You'll be called back if vendors want to make the sale. Avoid buying gold, silver, gemstones, and antiquities in bazaars, where things aren't always what they seem, and prices fluctuate wildly.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Walking Food Tours Around the U.S.
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $899 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 IslandsNorwegian Cruise Line
- $118 -- 4-Diamond Calgary Hotel: Weekends w/ParkingWestin Calgary
- $888 & up -- Trips to Hong Kong, China & Macau up to 65% OffChina National Tourism Office
- $179-$199 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $179 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel into Fall, 45% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $1199 -- Balcony: 2015 Alaska Cruises w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet