News Stories Tagged ireland
With the dollar now at a multi-week high against a sinking euro, European travel is looking evermore affordable. And since Fodor's readers have just picked the best spots in Europe for Value in 2012, we’ve taken the top five choices—Spain, Austria, Ireland, Greece, and Belgium—and zeroed in on outstanding deals and attractions in each of them.
It’s not too late to bunny-hop out of town for Easter weekend. We’ve rounded up some winning holiday packages, both on the home front and abroad, that will appeal to you and your kids alike for an Easter-inspired spring fling.
Make this museum part of your St Patrick's day celebration today.
A travel trend that’s gaining speed these days are family vacations that have nothing to do with theme parks. Rather, ancestral vacations or heritage trips, as they’re sometimes called, involve exploring the origins of your family tree.
Trying to figure out where to take your big vacation this year? We've got you covered. Our curated list of buzzy destinations, emerging hotspots, places that offer great values, and locales with upcoming noteworthy events, is sure to inspire you to book a trip—fast.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
To distinguish the real gold from the sparkling pyrite, look for a qualified bar staff (a uniform of white shirt and black trousers is a good sign), at least one man over sixty drinking at the bar (he should know the good bars by now, right?), no TV, and no recorded music (a pub is a place to talk).
It’s impossible to think of Dublin without also thinking of its 1,000 or so "public houses." These are what give Dublin so much of its character, and they’re largely to blame for the fierce loyalty Dublin inspires among locals and visitors. It was hard research, but here are our favorite 6 pubs in Dublin.
English is now outlawed in road signs in these Irish (Gaelic)-speaking communities, found along the western seaboard, on some islands, and in pockets in West Cork and County Waterford. So be sure to use a map with place names in both English and Irish (you can’t rely on official Ordnance Survey maps, which now only prints Irish place-names in these areas).
To distinguish the real gold from the sparkling pyrite, look for a qualified bar staff (a uniform of white shirt and black trouser is often a good sign you won’t be waited on by a grubby student), at least one man over 60 drinking at the bar (he should know the good bars by now, right?), no TV, and no recorded music (a pub is a place to talk).
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 10 Most Unusual Landmarks in the U.S.
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2999 -- 7-Night Luxury Cruise to Tahiti on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $203-$243 -- Carlsbad 4-Star Resort Near Legoland, 40% OffSheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
- $105-135 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $1965 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $309-$339 -- Suite at Waikiki Resort w/Beach Pkg., Save $200Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk
- $2399 & up -- Australia: Melbourne Escape w/Tours, Save $875Tourism Victoria