News Stories Tagged india
Passengers were stranded on the runway for close to nine hours aboard an Air India flight at Gatwick Airport when heavy morning fog diverted the plane from landing at Heathrow.
Remove your shoes before entering a shrine, even if it appears to be in ruins. Be aware that some temples and mosques are off-limits to travelers who don't practice the faith, or to any women.
Use prepaid taxi and rickshaw counters at airports and railway stations in major cities. You tell the clerk your destination and pay in advance. Don't get waylaid by aggressive drivers who try to persuade you to come to them instead of going to the counter: They'll without doubt charge you more than the published rate at the counter.
Don’t eat from street vendors. Stay away from uncooked or cold food and unpasteurized milk and milk products. Avoid raw vegetables and fruit, even those that have been peeled. Raw produce served at luxury hotels is mostly hygienic, but many buffets and salad bars soak produce in an iodine preparation to kill parasites; ask the waiter about this before you indulge. Drink only water that has been bottled or boiled for at least 10 minutes; avoid tap water, ice, fruit juices, or drinks to which water has been added. Buy bottled water from a reputable shop and turn down offers of "filtered" or "aquaguard" water; it may have been filtered to take out particles but not purified to kill parasites.
Secure all room reservations before arrival. Regardless of where you stay, inspect your room before checking in. Avoid leaving unlocked suitcases in your hotel room, and unless your room has a safe, never leave money, traveler’s checks, passports, or jewelry in a hotel room.
Also, insist on receiving an encashment slip. Some banks now charge a nominal fee for this slip, which you’ll need if you want to pay hotel bills or travel expenses in rupees, and again if you want to reconvert rupees into your own currency upon departure from India. Reject torn, frayed, taped, or soiled bills, as many merchants, hotels, and restaurants won’t accept them.
Only children can get away with short shorts. Men should wear comfortable jeans or longer shorts. Women visiting sacred places should dress modestly and cover their heads before entering a Sikh temple or a mosque.
Use a licensed, government-approved operator or, for a bit more money, one hired through your hotel. Establish terms, rates, and surcharges in advance.
So you want an adventure, but you'd rather not take out a new life insurance policy. Never fear! From kayaking Puerto Rico's bioluminescent lake to exploring Angkor Wat, here are our favorite adventure trips for 2010.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Budget-Friendly Getaways for Spring 2015
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- $58 & up -- Myrtle Beach Hotel and Resort Spring SaleVisit Myrtle Beach
- $81* & up -- Flights to Phoenix in Spring & Summer (R/T)Visit Phoenix
- $972* & up -- Flights to Galapagos from the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $349 & up -- Caribbean Cruise Sale w/Unlimited Drinks & MoreNorwegian Cruise Line
- $159 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Weekends this SpringWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $51 & up -- South Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, Save 35%Landmark Resort