News Stories Tagged hong kong
Getting stuck at the airport usually equates to mind-numbing boredom. Happily, these seven international jet-set hubs are coming to flyers’ rescue, continuing to roll out mega-entertainment options and "top that!" amenities that transform their terminals into temporary tourist destinations in their own right.
Head through the courtyards and start your visit to the Sam Tung Uk Museum in the exhibition hall at the back, where a display gives helpful background on Hakka culture and pre-industrial Tsuen Wan - explanations are sparse elsewhere.
To check your fortune at the Man Mo Temple in Hong Kong, stand in front of the altar, ask a question, select a small bamboo cylinder, and shake it until a stick falls out.
At the Heritage Museum in Hong Kong, don't miss the opera hall's virtual makeup display, where you get your on-screen face painted like an opera character.
Hong Kong accounts for 50% of the world market for shark. The expensive shark’s-fin soup, considered by locals to be an aphrodisiac, is made with the great beast’s pectal, dorsal, and lower tail fins.
No trip to Hong Kong would be complete without doing so. In often humble, fabric-cluttered settings, customers on record include such notables as David Bowie, Kate Moss, Jude Law, and Queen Elizabeth II.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
Offerings include feng shui tours, tai chi and tea appreciation classes, and even free rides on the fully restored fishing junk the Duk Ling (bring your passport to prove you’re from out of town).
If you’re on Hong Kong Island and feeling a little disoriented, remember that Victoria Harbour is always north; in Kowloon it’s always south. You can use the Island’s mountains as a guide, too; the Central district backs onto the slopes of Victoria Peak, so the districts south of it—the Midlevels and the Peak—look down on it.
Although mainland law forbids that any item more than 120 years old leave China, Hong Kong isn't held to this rule. It's perfectly legal to ship your antique treasures home.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- World's Craziest Bar Concepts
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $706* & up -- Top Europe Fare Deals on 4-Star Air France, RTAir France
- $2545 & up -- Bora Bora 7-Nt. Vacations w/Air, Save $600Pleasant Holidays
- $95 & up -- Toronto Harbor Hotel incl. Weekends, Save 35%Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel
- $129 -- Florida Keys: 1-Bedroom Suite w/Extras, 45% OffOcean Pointe Suites at Key Largo