News Stories Tagged history
Riviera Maya is one of Mexico's most beautiful beach destinations, but it's also home to an incredible array of ruins dating back thousands of years. Hurry and get some ancient adventure in before it's all over.
It was announced yesterday that the UNESCO World Heritage List added an 11th site in Turkey, called Catalhoyuk. Located in Konya, it's rife with early human artifacts like sculptures and wall paintings.
Teddy Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch, Joe Frazier's Philadelphia gym, Princeton Battlefield, and a nearly 200-year-old village made the list, which means they're in danger of being abandoned.
This week, Fodor's guides you through NYC's Lower East Side. Follow this two-mile route to learn about the Jewish immigrants who made this neighborhood their home—long before it became a hipster haven.
Titanic's 100th anniversary created tons of buzz this year. But not even a 3D rerelease can compare to one Australian billionaire's plan to build a modern replica of the doomed ship to sail the same course.
With a nod to Boston's historic past, The Revere Hotel Boston Common will open on Wednesday, marking the 237th anniversary of Paul Revere's legendary ride.
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (and was once home to the storied Round Tablers). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Enjoy the sounds of yesteryear at the National Museum of American History in Washington, DC, the world's only museum to use its antique instruments in performances.
The National Museum of American History in Washington, DC is the only museum in the world with an active program of using its historical musical instruments for live performance.
It’s no secret that Fodor’s travelers love New York. It’s the most searched destination on our site, and we’re always looking for insider information and unique perspectives about the city to share with our readers. Lately, we’ve been enjoying New York Diaries, a collection of diary entries about the city that includes fascinating historical insights about top city sights.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1195* & up -- Summer Fare Sale to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $2399 & up -- Australia: Melbourne Escape w/Tours, Save $875Tourism Victoria
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $1519 & up -- Singapore, Kuala Lumpur & Bali 6 Nts. w/AirTripMasters.com
- $159 & up -- Baltimore 4-Star Inner Harbor Hotel, 40% OffSheraton Inner Harbor Hotel
- $57 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Suite w/Daily BreakfastPalace Resort