News Stories Tagged history
It’s no secret that Fodor’s travelers love New York. It’s the most searched destination on our site, and we’re always looking for insider information and unique perspectives about the city to share with our readers. Lately, we’ve been enjoying New York Diaries, a collection of diary entries about the city that includes fascinating historical insights about top city sights.
There's no better way to deepen your understanding of the state's history and people than with a stop to this museum.
This archaeological site in Mexico is less crowded than Tulum, giving you a chance to immerse yourself in ancient culture.
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas Jefferson. Located outside Charlottesville, Virginia, this estate offers guided tours, beautiful gardens and grounds, and two miles of hiking and biking trails.
The incredible popularity of Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey has put the spotlight on Highclere Castle, the imposing manse that stands in for Lord and Lady Grantham's manor house. Located within easy reach of London, you can see it, and a host of other fine British estates, on a stately weekend getaway of which even the Dowager Countess of Grantham would approve.
August the 13th marks fifty years since construction began on The Berlin Wall (Berliner Mauer) and even though the divider came down over twenty years ago it still manages to be one of the city’s main tourist draws.
Bestselling author Howard Blum's latest book, The Floor of Heaven is inspired by the tumultuous events in Skagway, Alaska. He shares a bit of the town's fabled heritage and the top ways to experience the town's history today.
From the first shots fired on Fort Sumter to the surrender at Appomattox Court House, the Civil War Sesquicentennial will commemorate this tumultuous period in U.S. history. Many of the famous battlefields and historic sites are preserved for today's visitors.
For your next budget-friendly escape, consider an antidote to Anywhere USA with the city that consistently provides a sense of place—even, or especially, at its most-visited attractions, the River Walk and the Alamo.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand