News Stories Tagged history
It was announced yesterday that the UNESCO World Heritage List added an 11th site in Turkey, called Catalhoyuk. Located in Konya, it's rife with early human artifacts like sculptures and wall paintings.
Teddy Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch, Joe Frazier's Philadelphia gym, Princeton Battlefield, and a nearly 200-year-old village made the list, which means they're in danger of being abandoned.
This week, Fodor's guides you through NYC's Lower East Side. Follow this two-mile route to learn about the Jewish immigrants who made this neighborhood their home—long before it became a hipster haven.
Titanic's 100th anniversary created tons of buzz this year. But not even a 3D rerelease can compare to one Australian billionaire's plan to build a modern replica of the doomed ship to sail the same course.
With a nod to Boston's historic past, The Revere Hotel Boston Common will open on Wednesday, marking the 237th anniversary of Paul Revere's legendary ride.
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (and was once home to the storied Round Tablers). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Enjoy the sounds of yesteryear at the National Museum of American History in Washington, DC, the world's only museum to use its antique instruments in performances.
The National Museum of American History in Washington, DC is the only museum in the world with an active program of using its historical musical instruments for live performance.
It’s no secret that Fodor’s travelers love New York. It’s the most searched destination on our site, and we’re always looking for insider information and unique perspectives about the city to share with our readers. Lately, we’ve been enjoying New York Diaries, a collection of diary entries about the city that includes fascinating historical insights about top city sights.
There's no better way to deepen your understanding of the state's history and people than with a stop to this museum.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1219 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest 7-Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $539 & up -- 10-Nt. Mediterranean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $1374 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $5199 -- Namibia 11-Night Adventure w/Air, Save $600Friendly Planet Travel