News Stories Tagged history
It was announced yesterday that the UNESCO World Heritage List added an 11th site in Turkey, called Catalhoyuk. Located in Konya, it's rife with early human artifacts like sculptures and wall paintings.
Teddy Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch, Joe Frazier's Philadelphia gym, Princeton Battlefield, and a nearly 200-year-old village made the list, which means they're in danger of being abandoned.
This week, Fodor's guides you through NYC's Lower East Side. Follow this two-mile route to learn about the Jewish immigrants who made this neighborhood their home—long before it became a hipster haven.
Titanic's 100th anniversary created tons of buzz this year. But not even a 3D rerelease can compare to one Australian billionaire's plan to build a modern replica of the doomed ship to sail the same course.
With a nod to Boston's historic past, The Revere Hotel Boston Common will open on Wednesday, marking the 237th anniversary of Paul Revere's legendary ride.
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (and was once home to the storied Round Tablers). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Enjoy the sounds of yesteryear at the National Museum of American History in Washington, DC, the world's only museum to use its antique instruments in performances.
The National Museum of American History in Washington, DC is the only museum in the world with an active program of using its historical musical instruments for live performance.
It’s no secret that Fodor’s travelers love New York. It’s the most searched destination on our site, and we’re always looking for insider information and unique perspectives about the city to share with our readers. Lately, we’ve been enjoying New York Diaries, a collection of diary entries about the city that includes fascinating historical insights about top city sights.
There's no better way to deepen your understanding of the state's history and people than with a stop to this museum.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers