News Stories Tagged greece
The "pop-up" phenomenon is finally catching on in the hotel sphere. A new breed of pop-up hotels offers unique, limited-duration lodging experiences to travelers, with runs typically lasting only a few months at a time. Pop into these four uniquely beautiful pop-up properties, set in inspiring locales worthy of dedicated trips, before they disappear.
With the dollar now at a multi-week high against a sinking euro, European travel is looking evermore affordable. And since Fodor's readers have just picked the best spots in Europe for Value in 2012, we’ve taken the top five choices—Spain, Austria, Ireland, Greece, and Belgium—and zeroed in on outstanding deals and attractions in each of them.
Aman Resorts, known for its exquisite collection of intimate, luxury resorts, all with a strong sense of place, will open its third Mediterranean property, Amanzoe, on the Greek Peloponnesian coast this summer.
Take into account the number of stops and the arrival time: Sometimes a ferry that leaves an hour later gets you there faster! Catamarans and hydrofoils are pricier, and you need to reserve in advance in summer, but they cut travel time in half.
When Greece starts to sizzle, there's no better way to beat the heat than to hit the beach. So keep your cool and make a splash by savoring these top beaches—Greece has no greater liquid assets.
In country churches, and at all monasteries and convents, shorts aren’t allowed for either sex, and women shouldn’t wear pants. In very strict places, women shouldn’t reveal bare shoulders or too much cleavage. It’s a good idea to carry a large scarf for such occasions.
Examples: Agios or Ayios, Georgios or Yiorgos. Also, the English version may differ from the local Greek version: Corfu is known as Kerkyra; island capitals are often just called Chora (town); and Athens's boulevard Vasilissis Sofias (Queen Sofia) was renamed Eleftheriou Venizelou, but you'll likely get blank stares if you call it that.
Greeks' "no"—a tipping back of the head, sometimes with the eyes closed and eyebrows raised—looks like our "yes." And Greeks often wave goodbye with the palm facing them, which looks like "come here" to English speakers, while our palm-outward wave may be interpreted as "come here" by them.
Today we kicked off our latest photo contest, Show Us Your Greece. Running through October 5th, the contest is your chance to share your favorite snapshots from your vacation to Greece. One of your photos may even be featured in our next full-color Fodor's Greece. For more details, see the full contest page...
Our editors recently chose the most picturesque towns in Europe, and the result was published in Fodor's Essential Europe. You can find our choices below—but we're never happy to let the discussion end there. We wanted to know what the travelers in our Europe forums had to say as well, so we asked them: did their favorites appear on our list? What would they add?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2044 & up -- Scotland & Ireland B&B Vacation w/AirSceptre Tours
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $5199 -- Namibia 11-Night Adventure w/Air, Save $600Friendly Planet Travel
- $216 & up -- Miami Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $45 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, $1000 OffOceania Cruises