News Stories Tagged florence
In other cities you visit museums. In Florence, the city itself is a museum, a dazzling indoor-outdoor exhibition of some of the greatest masterpieces ever created. You can't see them all in 48 hours, and you shouldn't try. Instead, make smart choices and use your extra take time to linger in a café, wander into an artisan's shop or stop to listen, as I have, to a lone violinist playing on a bridge over the Arno. These may be the memories you savor most.
Are you in the planning stages of your first trip to Italy? It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the plethora of choices you face just creating the basic outline of your itinerary. Will you fly in and out of the same city, or opt for an open-jaw ticket? Is it sacrilege to skip the big 3 cities—Rome, Venice, Florence? Should you rent a car or rely on trains to get around? ...These are all commonly asked questions in our Forums. Many travelers even post their work-in-progress itineraries to be critiqued by other travelers. Below is one such itinerary for a first-time trip, designed for maximum impact. It will definitely keep you moving! Think of this as a rough draft to be revised according to your own interests and time constraints. We've also included tips and related forum links to help guide you....
Day 1: VeniceArrive in Venice's Marco Polo Airport (there are some direct flights from the United States), take the boat across the lagoon to Venice, check into your hotel, then get out and get...
If you want a deeper sense of how Italians live, find a comfortable spot on a pretty piazza (not all are) and just wait. Or engage in another Italian pastime: strolling le vie di mezzo (the streets in the middle) that lead from one piazza to another. You never know what delights you may find along the way.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1215* & up -- Fly RT to Sydney or Auckland w/Fiji StopoverPacificislands.com
- $69 -- Orlando Resort near Disney w/Parking, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $1999 -- China: Last Minute Luxe Yangtze River Cruise w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $139 & up -- New Orleans Hotel Sale into Fall, Save 55%New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau
- $335 & up -- Suite: 5-Star Beachfront Maui Resort, 55% OffBookIt.com