News Stories Tagged florence
In other cities you visit museums. In Florence, the city itself is a museum, a dazzling indoor-outdoor exhibition of some of the greatest masterpieces ever created. You can't see them all in 48 hours, and you shouldn't try. Instead, make smart choices and use your extra take time to linger in a café, wander into an artisan's shop or stop to listen, as I have, to a lone violinist playing on a bridge over the Arno. These may be the memories you savor most.
Are you in the planning stages of your first trip to Italy? It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the plethora of choices you face just creating the basic outline of your itinerary. Will you fly in and out of the same city, or opt for an open-jaw ticket? Is it sacrilege to skip the big 3 cities—Rome, Venice, Florence? Should you rent a car or rely on trains to get around? ...These are all commonly asked questions in our Forums. Many travelers even post their work-in-progress itineraries to be critiqued by other travelers. Below is one such itinerary for a first-time trip, designed for maximum impact. It will definitely keep you moving! Think of this as a rough draft to be revised according to your own interests and time constraints. We've also included tips and related forum links to help guide you....
Day 1: VeniceArrive in Venice's Marco Polo Airport (there are some direct flights from the United States), take the boat across the lagoon to Venice, check into your hotel, then get out and get...
If you want a deeper sense of how Italians live, find a comfortable spot on a pretty piazza (not all are) and just wait. Or engage in another Italian pastime: strolling le vie di mezzo (the streets in the middle) that lead from one piazza to another. You never know what delights you may find along the way.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers