News Stories Tagged europe
This is one of Britain's most popular sights—the Crown Jewels are here—and you can avoid lines by buying a ticket in advance on the Web site, by phone, at any tube station, or at an on-site kiosk; arriving before 11 can also help at busy times.
If you plan on spending more than €175 in one store, bring your passport to get the détaxe forms for your Value Added Tax rebate.
Germany's Chinese Tower beer garden is world famous, but the park has prettier places for sipping a beer: the Aumeister, for example, along the northern perimeter.
Avoid the line at the Basilica entrance by reserving your arrival—at no extra cost—on the Basilica Web site.
Instead of leaving the tip on the table, add it to the total amount when you pay. For example, if the bill is €2.70, tell the waitress "€3 please" when she comes to collect the money.
Purchase an electronic Oyster card at a Tube station for £3, charge it with a cash value, and use it on the Tube or on buses around the city. You reload it with money as needed. Another option is a Travelcard, sold for a specific number of days (even one day) of travel and good for buses and for specific zones in the Tube system.
There are hundreds of brands of vodka in Russia. Some are rough and best left alone; two of the best are Flagman and Russky Standart. Alcohol counterfeiting, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, is a problem, so try to purchase vodka from a reputable-looking store or, if buying from a kiosk, check to see that the seal has not been broken.
For women, bare arms and legs are not acceptable inside a mosque, and men should avoid wearing shorts, too. Before entering a mosque, shoes must be removed.
Because Scotland has so many islands, ferry services are of paramount importance. Most ferries transport vehicles as well as foot passengers, although a few smaller ones are for passengers only.
Aquavit, or akvavit, is a Scandanavian liquor of about 40% alcohol by volume. Its name comes from aqua vitae (Latin for "water of life"). Like other Scandinavian liquors, it’s distilled from potatoes or grains and flavored with herbs like caraway seeds, cumin, dill, fennel, or coriander.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $63-$79 -- Condo at Panama City Beachfront Resort, Half OffBookIt.com
- $721* & up -- Europe Fall Fares from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $649 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com
- $449 -- 5-Nt. Bermuda Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1474 -- Oceanview: 12-Nt. Europe Cruise w/Tips & All DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand