News Stories Tagged croatia
Tired of following the pack? Set out on your own adventure with our list of the world's best destinations for independent travelers.
Everyone knows Europe's heavy-hitters. But some of the continent's "second" cities have just as much history, culture, and cuisine to offer, with fewer crowds and at more affordable prices. Bon voyage!
'Tis the season for truffled travels. With summer vacations firmly in the rearview mirror, hungry travelers can now hit the road to hunt, dig, and taste the world's finest fungi from October through January.
Croatia is filled to the brim with spectacular food and drink—olive oil and grapevines, lobster and oysters abound. That means that the best way to discover the country is through your stomach.
Croatia, with stunning scenery and a still-off-the-beaten-track vibe, is set to join the EU this summer, which will ease the way for more visitors. Go early to discover all the country has to offer.
What could be better than a few days spent playing in the waves? Doing just that on the cheap, of course. These are our picks for chic beach getaways that are gentle on the wallet.
Fall is the time for savvy travels, with slashed prices, fewer crowds, and cooler temps. Whether its far-flung (Croatia, South Africa) or close-by (Colorado, Miami), here are our top destinations this season.
Make the most of swimsuit season with our top picks to flatter any body type. From itsy, bitsy triangle tops to retro styles, these suits are sure to turn heads.
Fishing in Fazana, a coastal Croatian town, dates back to the Middle Ages. Now the town hosts a slew of fantastic fishing festivals throughout the summer. Hey, if its good enough for Bourdain...
Fodor's caught up with George R.R. Martin, the grand storyteller behind HBO's award-winning series Game of Thrones, which returns for its hotly anticipated second season on April 1, at 9 pm. Here, he gives us a sneak peek at the film locations that represent his richly imagined Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, and more.
The results of our premier "Best of Europe" survey are in, and there are plenty of surprises, along with some predictable outcomes. As we expected, Fodorites are regular European travelers whose journeys take them far beyond the usual tourist track. Read on for more survey highlights.
Trying to figure out where to take your big vacation this year? We've got you covered. Our curated list of buzzy destinations, emerging hotspots, places that offer great values, and locales with upcoming noteworthy events, is sure to inspire you to book a trip—fast.
This local take on the sandwich is a local delicacy. Although Zagreb is not exactly overflowing with budget sandwich shops, traditional bakeries have long fulfilled that role for locals.
Get two Croatians together, and somebody's bound to introduce this distilled herbal or fruit spirit that makes up an important part of Croatian culture
Travel in Slovenia and Croatia is generally safe for familiesâ€”youâ€™ll find playgrounds in nearly every city—but there isnâ€™t a lot of special attention paid to the needs of children otherwise. Itâ€™s hit or miss as to whether youâ€™ll find a high chair in a restaurant, and very few have child-specific menus.
This local take on the sandwich is a must-eat. Although Zagreb is not exactly overflowing with budget sandwich shops, traditional bakeries have long fulfilled that role for locals. At such places, which are on practically every street corner, you can pick up a burek for as little as 10 Kn a piece.
On the eastern coast of the Adriatic sea, a renaissance in tourism to Croatia is underway. Though a very popular destination for Europeans for over 40 years, Croatia is only now coming into its own for Americans, when—finally—gleaming new cities have been rebuilt out of the wreckage of the civil war of the mid-1990s. When cruise ships first returned to Split and Dubrovnik in the late 1990s, cruise passengers might have seen bombed-out buildings on their way to the beach. But the pace of infrastructure repair caught up with skyrocketing tourism, and since 2001, Croatia has come onto travelers' radar in a big way. Now it is a major summer destination for hundreds of thousands of Americans. Most people planning a trip will go to Split, Dubrovnik, or one of the beautiful islands in between. There are many ways to travel, of course, and our forums are full of suggestions: Is 8 days too short?, Itinerary & Lodging help, and Favorite Islands? are just a few recent examples. Fo
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $164 & up -- Bahamas Luxe All-Inclusive Resort, Save 55% Riu Palace Paradise
- $799 -- Oceanview Cabin on Bermuda Cruise w/Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $219 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 30%Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $150-$168 -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort in Peak Season, 60% OffHotel Riu Palace Peninsula
- $629 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. Vacation w/Spa Credit & AirCheapCaribbean.com