News Stories Tagged costa rica
Night temperatures on the slopes of Cerro de la Muerte in Costa Rica can approach freezing.
Obey smart swimming practices while you're in the water in the Caribbean.
Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort offers frequent Internet-only discounts if you book directly through its Web site.
The vibrantly colored red-eyed tree frog, like the white tent bat, sometimes rests on the underside of large jungle leaves; gently turn a few leaves over as you're hiking and take a peek. You might get lucky.
Beach breaks are the best type for beginners. Waves break over sandbars and the seafloor. Jacó, Hermosa, and Sámara are all beach breaks. Point breaks are created as waves hit a point jutting into the ocean.
The Blue Flag ecological rating system evaluates water quality—both ocean and drinking water—trash cleanup, waste management, security, signage, and environmental education. Blue flags are awarded to communities, rather than to individual hotels, which feeds a sense of cooperation.
The ubiquitous Tourist Information signs you see around downtown are really private travel agencies looking to sell you tours rather than provide unbiased information. The ICT is the official tourist office.
A luggage weight limit of 11.3 kilograms or 25 pounds is almost always enforced on the tiny domestic planes.
Tip only for good service. Costa Rica doesn't have a tipping culture, but positive reinforcement goes a long way. Taxi drivers aren't tipped, but leave an extra 200â€“300 colones if they've helped you navigate a complicated set of directions.
To get the most out of your trip, hire someone who can turn what looks like a mass of green foliage to the untrained eye into a widely diversified trove of plants and creatures great and small—one of the highlights of a trip here. For the full effect, bring or borrow binoculars. See our recommended tour operators here.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $239 & up -- 5-Night Caribbean Cruise incl. Cayman IslandsCarnival Cruise Line
- $34 & up -- Vegas Hotel on The Strip w/$50 Dining CreditBookIt.com
- $184 & up -- NY: Luxe 4-Star Times Square Hotel, 25% OffInterContinental Hotels Group
- $180 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Waterfront Resort, 50% OffBookIt.com
- $109 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Downtown Tribeca Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Tribeca
- $179 & up -- 3-Day Winter Cruise to the Bahamas on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Line