News Stories Tagged costa concordia
The cruise industry has once again found itself in hot water. In a nightmare for the passengers onboard and cruise PR agencies alike, another of Costa Cruises' ships is making headlines today, following an engine room fire that has left its Costa Allegra vessel without power. While initial reports have indicated that there are no injuries or fatalities amongst the more than 1,000 passengers and crew aboard, the immobilized ship is currently sailing adrift in the dark night in the Indian Ocean, some 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles.
In the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck, cruise bookings are down. The silver lining is that cruise lines are now offering record deals for travelers. But book quickly: these deals expire soon!
Costa Cruises will offer compensation packages to uninjured guests of the ill-fated Costa Concordia voyage, which capsized off the coast of Italy two weeks ago today.
While cruisers continue to ponder their return to the high seas following the Costa Concordia tragedy, it's clear that the disaster will impact the near future of cruising in two ways: how the standards for cruise ship safety will be set, and whether passenger bookings and cruise line profitability will plummet.
While there are concerns about safety—and how it can be improved moving forward—the news hasn't seemed to impact Fodorites' plans for cruise vacations.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- $95 & up -- Punta Cana: All-Incl. Beachfront Family ResortBookIt.com
- $394 -- Balcony: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $1299 & up -- Ireland Tour: Dublin, Killarney & LimerickTourism Ireland
- $68 & up -- Arizona: Lake, Grand Canyon & Sedona ToursVisit Mesa
- $145-$175 -- Seattle 4-Star Starwood Hotels on Sale, 30% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand