News Stories Tagged china
America is about to see a boost in tourism from China and Brazil, following President Obama's announcement yesterday that streamlining the visa process will make it easier for travelers from those countries to come to the U.S.
Electric carts buzz around the park; hop on one heading to Changchunyuan if you feel tired. Tickets are Y5.
If visiting the Big Bell Temple in Beijing, China, you can ride the subway to get there.
If you're coming by taxi to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing, China, enter the park through the southern entrance (Tiantan Nanmen).
The most noteworthy hotel news of the week is collected here, from the planned two-plus-year renovation of the Paris Ritz to the reopening of LA's Hotel Bel-Air.
"Face" is the all-important issue in China. A cross between pride and social status, it’s all about appearances, yet its cultural roots run deep. Shame someone publicly, and you may lose their friendship for life; make them look good, and you’ll go far.
It's officially forbidden by the government, and locals simply don't do it. In general, follow their lead without qualms. Nevertheless, the practice is beginning to catch on, especially among tour guides, who often expect Y10 a day.
It’s great fun for the savvy shopper. Do haggle—with histrionics at the seller’s first asking price but with a polite, positive attitude throughout, and never with finger pointing (use your whole hand instead).
In a nutshell, driving yourself around is not a possibility when vacationing in mainland China, as the only valid driver’s licenses are Chinese ones. However, this restriction should be cause for relief, as city traffic is terrible, drivers are manic, and getting lost is practically inevitable for first-timers.
Hong Kong accounts for 50% of the world market for shark. The expensive shark’s-fin soup, considered by locals to be an aphrodisiac, is made with the great beast’s pectal, dorsal, and lower tail fins.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $325 -- Waikiki: 5-Star Royal Hawaiian Resort, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $3009 -- Vietnam: 7-Night Escorted Vacation w/Air & MealsSinorama Holidays
- $8.55 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $99 & up -- Virginia: Leaf-Peeping Hotel Deals , Save 45%Virginia Tourism
- $89 & up -- Hotel Deals Across Arizona through WinterVisit Arizona
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand