News Stories Tagged chile
South America may be feeling cooler temps this time of year, but new properties are popping up across the region, from flashy modern digs to serene escapes.
Patagonia woos adventurous travelers with stunning, secluded landscapes and luxe, eco-friendly hotels. The latest in the bunch is The Singular, housed in a landmark building from 1915.
Chile is full of surprises—it's more than just sheep, mountains, summer skiing, and wine. So we put together a starter kit of sorts to help you put build the best itinerary.
Just two months ago, a wildfire swept through the renowned Torres del Paine National Park, temporarily closing parts of the park and the iconic Hotel Salto Chico. While the park re-opened in early January, the luxury lodge will re-open its doors on February 23, just in time for the tail-end of the popular summer season in stunning southern Chile.
In Chile’s Puerto Williams, the southernmost permanent settlement in the world, a small Swiss freighter permanently moored at the dock and listing slightly to port is home to the rustic Club de Yates Micalvi. Sailors stop here for good company, strong spirits, and hearty food as they travel between the Atlantic and Pacific around Cape Horn. Stop by and mingle with whoever is there at the time. You might meet Aussies, Brits, Finns, Russians, Swedes, or even the occasional North American.
Squeezed between the Andes and the Pacific Ocean, Chile has beaches that draw sun-worshippers and roaring rivers for adventure travelers. Fishing aficionados head south to the Lake District, while armchair archeologists are attracted to the 5,000-year-old mummies of the Atacama. In some places the 320-km (200-mi) territorial limit is wider than the country itself, making Chile as much water as earth. Here are the best places and sights to inspire your perfect Chilean itinerary.
Females will probably greet you with a kiss on one cheek, while males will go with a fi rm handshake.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $743* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $799 -- Oceanview Cabin on Bermuda Cruise w/Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $559 -- Cruise Two Continents: 15 Nights plus $100 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $134-$151 -- Cabo All-Inclusive Beach Resort, Save 50%Riu Santa Fe
- $1647 & up -- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com