News Stories Tagged chile
South America may be feeling cooler temps this time of year, but new properties are popping up across the region, from flashy modern digs to serene escapes.
Patagonia woos adventurous travelers with stunning, secluded landscapes and luxe, eco-friendly hotels. The latest in the bunch is The Singular, housed in a landmark building from 1915.
Chile is full of surprises—it's more than just sheep, mountains, summer skiing, and wine. So we put together a starter kit of sorts to help you put build the best itinerary.
Just two months ago, a wildfire swept through the renowned Torres del Paine National Park, temporarily closing parts of the park and the iconic Hotel Salto Chico. While the park re-opened in early January, the luxury lodge will re-open its doors on February 23, just in time for the tail-end of the popular summer season in stunning southern Chile.
In Chile’s Puerto Williams, the southernmost permanent settlement in the world, a small Swiss freighter permanently moored at the dock and listing slightly to port is home to the rustic Club de Yates Micalvi. Sailors stop here for good company, strong spirits, and hearty food as they travel between the Atlantic and Pacific around Cape Horn. Stop by and mingle with whoever is there at the time. You might meet Aussies, Brits, Finns, Russians, Swedes, or even the occasional North American.
Squeezed between the Andes and the Pacific Ocean, Chile has beaches that draw sun-worshippers and roaring rivers for adventure travelers. Fishing aficionados head south to the Lake District, while armchair archeologists are attracted to the 5,000-year-old mummies of the Atacama. In some places the 320-km (200-mi) territorial limit is wider than the country itself, making Chile as much water as earth. Here are the best places and sights to inspire your perfect Chilean itinerary.
Females will probably greet you with a kiss on one cheek, while males will go with a fi rm handshake.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1219 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest 7-Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $999 & up -- Hawaii: 7-Night All Island Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1843 & up -- Spain: 6-Nt., 2-City w/Air & Wine TastingsGreat Value Vacations
- $2799 -- 7-Night Luxury Tahiti Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises