News Stories Tagged chicago
Get those picnic baskets and bottles of wine out. It's time to hit the great outdoors for the annual bevy of summer music festivals that take the country by storm, from Tanglewood to the Hollywood Bowl.
There’s a lot to see AND hear at Chicago’s Millenium Park this summer.
Putting in the time to peruse stands at local markets can certainly unearth some winning on-the-road finds, though it often seems that most vendors are selling the same forgettable tchotchkes. The best place to search out memorable, quality items tied to your travels is oftentimes found in museum gift shops. Since you likely already plan to wander the halls of a local museum or two, tacking on a stop in the gift shop could easily take care of your souvenir needs in one easy shot. You’ll definitely want to spend a bit of time—and money—in our five favorite museum gift shops, outlined below.
For architecture enthusiasts, there's nothing more gratifying than a tour of a revered building, guided by an informed insider. Some hotels offer architectural tours—typically led by a hotel’s concierge, an in-house historian, or an outside expert—that offer behind-the-scenes glimpses into a hotel’s heyday, from Mid-Century Modern at Scottsdale’s Hotel Valley Ho to Art Deco at Chicago’s Palmer House Hilton. We’ve rounded up five architecture-themed hotel tours here that rank tops, and best of all, you don’t have to spring for a room to sign up for one—non-hotel guests can simply call ahead to reserve a spot.
Chicago’s blustery winter weather is on the way out, which makes this killer offer even better. In honor of the city’s 175th birthday, all four of Kimpton’s Chicago hotels are offering discount rates for just $175/night for 175 days—plus party bags.
Cities countrywide are flaunting their Gaelic glory in the form of parades, parties, and pub crawls in the coming week. From the longest-running Patty’s parade in Boston to a New Orleans-style celebration and more, here are the top 5 places to shamrock it out stateside this year.
Hotels are doing more than just upgrading decor to woo their guests—they’re pulling out all the stops, from fostering the latest cutting-edge technology to revolutionizing room service. Herewith a roundup of the latest and greatest hotel amenities, touting some of our favorite bells and whistles.
The Hotel Lincoln is on track for its scheduled early March opening date in one of Chicago's most popular neighborhoods, and will feature rooms with lakefront views, an all-season rooftop bar, and breakfast for guests from a popular, newly-opened restaurant on the hotel's ground floor.
Whether you're into painting, prints, photography, or fashion, major American museums from Los Angeles to Prouts Neck, Maine, are hosting exceptional art shows worth traveling for this year. We've picked the eight best, on now through the end of 2012, so you can plan ahead for art-filled weekend getaways from coast to coast.
It's impossible to see the entire Field Museum in Chicago in one visit. Try to get tickets to the special exhibit of the season and then choose a couple of subjects you'd like to explore, like North American birds or Chinese jade.... Heading to Chicago soon? Get up-to-the-minute recommendations for hotels, restaurants, and more with our online Chicago Travel Guide....
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $519 & up -- Norwegian Getaway Caribbean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $3860 & up -- Europe: 9-Nt. Trip w/London, Paris, ItalyGreat Value Vacations
- $629 -- Balcony: 7 Night Cruise to Jamaica, Bahamas & MexicoMSC Cruises
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean