News Stories Tagged canada
Nova Scotia ticks all necessary boxes for a truly unspoiled seaside escape—endless lobster traps, vineyards, cultural excursions, and a New England-style charm, all with way fewer tourists.
You might be surprised to find that within the very French (and proud!) region of Quebec there stands a village that pays homage to Canada's British, not French, heritage.
Whether you go for the jazz festival, the art, or the poutine, Montreal makes for a fantastic, charming city break. To make it an ultra chic getaway, take these style cues.
There's tons going on in Toronto lately, so it should come as no surprise that chic new hotels are cropping up all the time. Here are the latest openings we're buzzing about.
Known for its jazz festival, chewy bagels, and guilty pleasure snack poutine, Montreal is one of the best places for a city breaks in North America. And now its time to discover its underground art scene.
Seeing the Canadian Rockies by plane or car won't do it justice. But by train (luxury train at that), they can be seen in all their glory through glass domed coaches, with a glass of red in hand.
Nothing beats a getaway with the girls, whether you hit a nearby foodie haven like Portland for the weekend or make it a far-flung jaunt to scope out the big five in Kenya or sip champagne in Australia.
Heli-hiking, which essentially borrows from the heli-skiing concept—minus the skis or the snow—is quickly gaining ground as the latest bucket-list adventure trend. Here, a few spots where you can fly high on your next hiking trip.
Nova Scotia’s capital is a hip, harbor-hugging city and its 400,000 citizens know how to have some serious fun. But Halifax has a past that's been touched by tragedy, too: Most famously so in April 1912, when the RMS Titanic went down in the North Atlantic Ocean. Being the closest major port to the site of the capsized ship, Halifax became the base for recovery operations, and international attention focused on the city as wreckage and remains filtered through. In this centennial year, the spotlight is being switched on again in Halifax as Titanic aficionados—from near, far, from wherever they are—flock in. Here’s the how-to for a perfect (and poignant) weekend escape.
It’s one thing for a hotel to tout "green" initiatives that smack of sustainability; it’s another thing for properties to actually practice what they preach. We’ve investigated a number of self-proclaimed leaders in the eco-consciousness branch of North America's hotel business. Here are our top picks that leave the others green with envy.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways