News Stories Tagged buenos aires
These city buses, or "collectives," were taxi drivers’ answer to the difficulties of the Great Depression, and behave much like a regular bus line today. They’re also a strong symbol of civic pride and a great way to explore the city. Consult a Guia T, found at most larger kiosks for about 3 pesos, to figure out which line you need and which street you should walk on to find a parade, or stop. When you see your bus coming, hail it like a cab, wait for it to come to a rolling halt (at best), and say "ochenta, por favor" to the driver before plunking your 80 centavos (change given, but only coins accepted) into the ticket machine. As you ride, pay attention to where you are, as stops aren’t routinely announced. Push a stop request button when you see your destination coming up. Retain your ticket, as police occasionally board to check and administer fines.
When it comes to tango, emotions ride high. From its beginnings, the dance and its two-four beat marked and reflected the character of Buenos Aires. Whether you want experience it through impassioned dancing or tortured lyrics, here are our picks of the city's top tango spots.
Walking around where most of the locals are dead might not be at the top of your sightseeing list, but it should be. Here are four of our favorites: two you might have heard of, and two you might otherwise have overlooked.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Best Beach Getaways for 2015
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $1599 -- 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Celebrity w/CreditPriceline Cruises
- $1009 & up -- Punta Cana: 3-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $1199 -- NZ: South Island Wine & Wildlife Trip w/CarTravelscene
- $649 & up -- Riviera Maya Beachside Riu Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $104 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beachfront 'Riu' ResortBookIt.com
- $10.76 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com