News Stories Tagged budget travel
Now that there are 21 on-site hotels at Walt Disney World, families have almost unlimited lodging options. And, since most of the rooms added in the last five years are in the budget category (i.e., $82–$114 a night), it's hard to think of any reason why a family wouldn't stay at a Disney hotel.
If you're like most people, you probably consider spa vacations a luxury. In this economy, you may have even taken that monthly mani/pedi out of your budget. But is it really wise to skip the spa when you're busier, more sleep deprived, and more stressed out than ever? Here are some ways you can make visiting a spa less of a luxury and more of an essential.
Most major tourist destinations are teeming with gift shops full of cheap souvenirs. Unfortunately, these items don't usually succeed at capturing the essence of a destination for you. On the lookout for a meaningful souvenir? Try pairing your purchase with a unique experience that you're bound to remember long after your trip ends. For starters, here are some suggestions for fun and interesting experiences and souvenirs to be had in three of Europe's most visited capitals: Paris, London, and Rome.
There are so many ways to eat well in Paris but still save money: eat picnics, spend your restaurant euros at lunch instead of dinners, have your latté at the counter instead of at a table...You'll save money and probably have a more authentic Parisian experience, too....From the Forums: "I would second the suggestion to 'reste au comptoir' in a café, vs. sitting at a table. You will save a few coins, and it's a great experience." -- petitepois (more)...
Quaint, cobbled and meticulously-preserved, Québec City has long been seen as an affordable alternative to European destinations. Here are 5 interesting (and free!) things to see in the next few weeks.
Is it still possible to take an affordable trip to Europe? If you're pining for a trip across the pond but not sure you can wing it financially, consider the following tips, recommendations, and trip reports from travelers in our Forums....
Italy on a BudgetTop Tips... Beating the Euro in Italy... Planning and Booking... Help Me Establish a Realistic Food Budget for My Trip to Italy... Venice on a recession dollar? Need help making my trip affordable ...Best inexpensive way to travel within Italy?...Anyone know cost of cheap trains in Italy?... Fodor's Recommends: Rome's Best Cheap Eats... France on a BudgetTop Tips... Beating the Euro in Paris...100 Free Things to Do in Paris...Please help me avoid frizzy hair in PARIS: Suggestions on budget-friendly department stores... Planning and Booking... Paris on a Budget for 1 Week in Early September...Dining solo--comfortably and relatively inexpensively--in Paris... Trip Reports... Apres_Londee's Super Low Budget Trip to Paris... Fodor's Recommends: Paris's Best Cheap Eats... Germany on a Budget...
Fodor's member yk has a running topic in our Forums devoted to budget tips and deals for visitors to Boston. Here is her shortlist of museum deals:...Museum of Fine Arts Boston - Free admission every Wednesday 4-9:45pm...Institute of Contemporary Art - Free admission every Thursday 5-9pm...Harvard Museum of Natural History - Free admission for MA residents every Sun 9-12 noon and Wed 3-5pm...MIT Museum - Free admission every Sun 10-12noon...Boston Children's Museum - $1 admission every Fri 5-9pm...Harvard Art Museums - Free admission Sat 10-12noon...View yk's Boston budget topic for more helpful tips...
Input your route and the make and model of your car on the AAA's fuel cost calculator and voilà! Although figures assume there are no traffic jams (which you probably should factor in), gas prices are updated regularly. Use it to budget your road trip or to decide whether to fly or drive....From the Forums: What advice would you give to someone planning to drive across the country? ...
"Italy's small cities can be less expensive but still fabulous. We were just in Assisi--all the sites were free, a delicious dinner for two with wine was 22 euros, and our hotel was reasonable at 65 euros per night." -- shared by Fodor's member rosetravels... From the Forums: Beating the Euro in Italy...
"I've gone the B&B route on other trips to Ireland, but I'm a big fan of university lodging when it comes to visiting larger cities and needing to keep to a budget. I think a lot of older travelers hear the word "university" and automatically think it's a place full of young backpackers and they will be sharing a bathroom with 20 other tourists. Not true...Queen's University in Belfast and Trinity College in Dublin are great examples of places that offer spacious, clean rooms with private bathrooms. Easy access to public transit, on-site laundry and internet facilities and a full Irish breakfast every day for a fraction of what you'd pay at a hotel make university lodging a terrific option." -- shared by Fodor's member Ceidleh... From the Forums: Beating the Euro in Ireland...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Depatment of Tourism
- $519 & up -- Alaska: 7-Night Summer Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $43 -- CA: Six Flags Magic Mountain Day Pass, Reg. $68Visit Santa Clarita
- $284 & up -- 3-Day Cruise to Nassau w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines