News Stories Tagged big island
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible distance? These 10 trips come with bears, rays, bison, and more!
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and educational experiences. Top it off with great food, and you've got unforgettable memories, too.
Come for the Kilauea Volcano, and stay on Hawaii's Big Island for the culture and cuisine. With the recent opening of the Lava Lava Beach Club, the island's got a whole new look and feel.
Check out this family-owned ranch for ATV riding and home-cooked meals.
Discounts on golf are often available for resort guests and for those who book tee times on the web, as well as for those willing to play in the afternoon instead of the morning. Twilight fees are also usually offered; call individual courses for information.
The Big Island's "Heritage Drive," a 4-mi loop just off the main highway, is well worth the detour for its scenic views and lush foliage.
Experienced surfers find good waves to ride beyond the reef at Kahalu‘u Beach Park on Hawaii's Big Island.
Waterfalls in Hawaii can have dangerous currents swirling beneath them.
In addition to the obvious relaxation benefits of any spa trip, the Big Island's spas have done a fantastic job incorporating local traditions and ingredients into their menus.
While evacuation precautions thankfully ensured the safety of residents and visitors, the recent tsunami caused property damage to several waterfront properties. At this writing, two Big Island hotels are temporarily closed. If you have an upcoming reservation, be sure to contact your hotel directly for the latest updates.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $279 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Cruise to Cozumel, 40% OffRoyal Caribbean
- $499 & up -- 5-Night La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $99* -- Idaho: Boise to Sacramento this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $98 & up -- Seattle Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $161-$179 -- Downtown Toronto Hotel w/Wi-Fi & ParkingThe Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $89* -- Portland to San Diego this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines