News Stories Tagged belgium
Belgium has three official languages—Flemish, French and German—and many citizens have strong allegiances to their region’s particular linguistic flavor (except Brussels, which is bilingual in Flemish and French). When in doubt, use English, which is widely understood and a less contentious choice; assuming incorrectly can be nearly as taboo here as bringing up politics.
These are a Belgian invention. Stands (friterie in French or frituur in Flemish) serve them in large cones, with a selection of condiments that go far beyond banal ketchup. Another favorite snack is the famous Belgian waffle (gaufres in French, waffles in Flemish), which you can buy at stands and in some city bakeries. Waffles are considered an afternoon snack here, though.
Almost as requisite as riding a bicycle in Brussels or hiking the high moors of Wallonia on your Belgian adventure is sampling the local brews, the making of which is a tradition that dates back centuries. Westvleteren Trappist comes highly recommended. Some breweries offer tours only by appointment; call ahead—it's worth it.
London... Paris... Rome... A handful of European capitals hog the touristic limelight. Yet there are many others, each ideal for certain types of travelers, that deserve more than their current C-list status. Ready to re-think your bucket list? Take a peek at these underrated cities.
Our editors recently chose the most picturesque towns in Europe, and the result was published in Fodor's Essential Europe. You can find our choices below—but we're never happy to let the discussion end there. We wanted to know what the travelers in our Europe forums had to say as well, so we asked them: did their favorites appear on our list? What would they add?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $159 -- Downtown Pittsburgh Convention Center Hotel, 45% OffThe Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh
- $209-$229 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $629 & up -- Riviera Maya Beachside Riu Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $159 & up -- 4-Star Midtown Manhattan Westin, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $259 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Baja Mexico Cruise w/UpgradeCarnival Cruise Line
- $183 & up -- LA: Hotel Near Universal Studios, 35% OffSheraton Universal Hotel