News Stories Tagged belgium
Foodies have fluffy waffles and world-class chocolates; history buffs have the centenary of World War I; and hops-lovers have endless beers to taste. So what are you waiting for? It's time for Belgium.
Springtime always brings jaunts to Europe to the forefront of travel wishlists, but if you've hit the top spots (Paris, Rome, Barcelona), it's time to discover something new, like these six smaller cities.
These hotels have a problem with commitment. But no matter where they set up camp, pop-up hotels are sure to offer a high-end, adventurous experience for nomadic travelers.
Think of Belgium, and you'll probably first think of Brussels (followed swiftly by waffles, frites, and diamonds). But there are plenty of other cities well worth seeing. We promise there will still be waffles.
If you don't remember the Golden Rule, you probably shouldn't go to Brussels. Because as of this week, if you don't have anything nice to say in Brussels, you'll get fined.
With the dollar now at a multi-week high against a sinking euro, European travel is looking evermore affordable. And since Fodor's readers have just picked the best spots in Europe for Value in 2012, we’ve taken the top five choices—Spain, Austria, Ireland, Greece, and Belgium—and zeroed in on outstanding deals and attractions in each of them.
A Brussels Card allows you free public transport and free admission at more than 30 museums, plus other discounts. Cards cost €24, €34, and €40 for one, two, and three days respectively.
Belgium has three official languages—Flemish, French, and German—and many citizens have strong allegiances to their region’s particular linguistic flavor (except Brussels, which is bilingual in Flemish and French).
Eat french fries. These are a Belgian invention. Stands (friterie in French or frituur in Flemish) serve them in large cones, with a selection of condiments that go far beyond banal ketchup.
Almost as requisite as riding a bicycle in Brussels or hiking the high moors of Wallonia on your Belgian adventure is sampling the local brews, the making of which is a tradition that dates back centuries.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- $99 & up -- Virginia: 4-Star Resort Deals in Fall, Save 45%Virginia Tourism
- $629 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $114 & up -- Fort Lauderdale 4-Star Beach Hotel w/ExtrasSheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
- $169 -- FL: St. Augustine 4-Diamond Luxe Hotel, Save 55%Casa Monica Hotel
- $299 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruises incl. Extras & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com