News Stories Tagged austria
Admittedly, Europe's "Big 3" are hard to beat. But if you're looking for new experiences, our Europe-trotting Fodorites recommend where to go after you've been to Paris, London, and Rome.
Nestled in the shadow of ancient cathedrals or in illuminated town squares, Europe's bustling holiday markets offer a taste of Christmas through the ages. Of the hundreds of exceptional celebrations around Europe, we've selected these five festive destinations and their best markets.
Even with such a rich past, Vienna is still a living city, and the best parts are when that historic past gets muddled with a dose of modern life in a potent cocktail that's very much Viennese.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
The western sector of Austria—including Tirol and Vorarlberg—is actually closer to southern Germany’s hub city than to Vienna, and Munich is very close to Salzburg or Innsbruck via train.
Most Viennese restaurants charge a small fee for each roll that is eaten. Increasingly, however, eateries are using a per-person cover charge, which includes all the bread you want, usually with an herb spread and butter.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
Come late November and early December, the yuletide spirit descends on Europe and festive Christmas markets pop up in towns and cities across the continent. Filled with traditional crafts, mulled wine, and tasty eats, these holiday bazaars are the perfect way to take in some local culture and stock up on special gifts for loved ones at home. Christmas may seem a long way off, but now's the time to book your trip (in fact, some of our Fodorites started planning theirs months ago). Make your yuletide list, pack some warm clothes, and get in the spirit at our favorite Christmas markets in Europe.
The tumbling euro may be enough to inspire some travelers to take a European vacation this summer. But in case added incentives are needed, we've come up with another 16 reasons why you should go now.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $429 & up -- Bahamas 7-Nt. Cruises w/UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Puerto Plata Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $116 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Hotel Downtown, Save 55%Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $130* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $649 & up -- Jamaica 4-Nt. All-Incl. Luxury Escape, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2499 -- Oceanview: 7-Night Luxe Alaska Cruise incl. AirOceania Cruises