News Stories Tagged australia
The true story of this remarkable female traveler is told in Glynis Ridley’s The Discovery of Jeanne Baret. Here are some of the highlights of Baret's story and the natural wonders along the way. Re-tracing her journey, dates are given for each location, so you can see how long it took an 18th-century ship to complete the voyage under sail.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Australia is enormous. Don’t pack in too much if you’ve only a couple of weeks—it would be like trying to see the entire United States in 14 days. Instead, start by determining what the best activities are during the time of year you plan to go—touring wineries, bushwalking, skiing, diving. Then plan your trip around them, including a couple of noteworthy areas that will keep you happy and busy rather than frazzled and run ragged.
Don't be fooled by the term "off season." Now is the best time to take advantage of travel deals; the crowds are gone and many hotels and airlines have dropped their rates. We've rounded up our favorite value fall travel destinations, where you'll get the same luxuries for a fraction of the price.
This is especially necessary during peak tourist seasons, roughly from November through February. Advance-purchase train fares, which afford a 10%–40% discount between some major cities, are best bought before departure for Australia, as they tend to be booked up far in advance. Contact your travel agent or the appropriate Rail Australia office.
Down Under, entrée means appetizer and main courses are American main courses.
Catch a local sports event. Cricket in summer (October–March) or Australian rules football (think rugby meets soccer) in late autumn and winter are a blast. If youâ€™ve never gone diving, thereâ€™s no better place to try it than the Great Barrier Reef.
Driving is on the left, and stepping off a curb can be dangerous if your instincts have you looking left.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays