News Stories Tagged australia
From the massive landmass of Australia to the islands of New Zealand, the South Pacific has many unique botanicals that are found nowhere else on earth. With their active lifestyles and increased sun exposure, Aussies and Kiwis understand the power of nature—as traveling skincare enthusiasts will quickly learn. So, the next time you’re Down Under, give your skin a break from surfing or trekking through the bush to explore some of the region’s top skincare products and wellness experiences.
Australians don't expect tips and hotels and restaurants don't usually add service charges. That said, a small tip for good service is common practice and appreciated. Room service and housemaids are only tipped for special services. Taxi drivers don't expect a tip, but leaving small change will win you a smile. Guides, tour bus drivers, and chauffeurs don't expect tips either, though they're grateful if someone in the group takes up a collection for them. No tipping is necessary—indeed, it would cause confusion—in hair salons or for theater ushers.
The true story of this remarkable female traveler is told in Glynis Ridley’s The Discovery of Jeanne Baret. Here are some of the highlights of Baret's story and the natural wonders along the way. Re-tracing her journey, dates are given for each location, so you can see how long it took an 18th-century ship to complete the voyage under sail.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Australia is enormous. Don’t pack in too much if you’ve only a couple of weeks—it would be like trying to see the entire United States in 14 days. Instead, start by determining what the best activities are during the time of year you plan to go—touring wineries, bushwalking, skiing, diving. Then plan your trip around them, including a couple of noteworthy areas that will keep you happy and busy rather than frazzled and run ragged.
Don't be fooled by the term "off season." Now is the best time to take advantage of travel deals; the crowds are gone and many hotels and airlines have dropped their rates. We've rounded up our favorite value fall travel destinations, where you'll get the same luxuries for a fraction of the price.
This is especially necessary during peak tourist seasons, roughly from November through February. Advance-purchase train fares, which afford a 10%–40% discount between some major cities, are best bought before departure for Australia, as they tend to be booked up far in advance. Contact your travel agent or the appropriate Rail Australia office.
Down Under, entrée means appetizer and main courses are American main courses.
Catch a local sports event. Cricket in summer (October–March) or Australian rules football (think rugby meets soccer) in late autumn and winter are a blast. If youâ€™ve never gone diving, thereâ€™s no better place to try it than the Great Barrier Reef.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $499 & up -- 4-Nt. La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $799 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star, 6-Nt. Trip w/Air, $1080 OffApple Vacations
- $739 & up -- 6-Nt. Vallarta Vacation on Private Beach w/AirApple Vacations
- $659 & up -- Cozumel: Beach Escape incl. Meals, Drinks & AirApple Vacations
- $699 & up -- Cayman Island Vacation Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fares into November, One WayVirgin America