News Stories Tagged australia
From chic new hotels to can't-miss art events, the season's top destinations are blossoming with fresh experiences. Whether you'd like to revel in the music at Prague's spring music festival, taste wines near the vines in Paso Robles, or mingle with Tuscan locals before the summer crowds arrive, these trips are sure to brighten your season.
The prospect of traveling with children can indeed seem daunting, sometimes so much so that the very idea of it keeps families from leaving home altogether. Rest assured, there's hope out there yet for your next kids-inclusive vacation, thanks to these 10 family-friendly hotels that offer plenty of fun for the kiddies, without skimping on the amenities for adults.
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation. They're often great for gathering information on topics such as what to expect when you land, where to find top hotels and the best under-the-radar restaurants, and when to book ahead for must-do activities. Essentially, it's all about the experience of what worked—and perhaps even more importantly, what didn't.
Many travelers head up to Australia's Great Barrier Reef, but the region north of Cairns offers a chance to experience tropical rain forests and Aboriginal culture. Take the cable ferry across the Daintree River, and you'll see a spectacular part of the country that most casual visitors miss.
The Bondi-to-Bronte Coast Walk is a lovely 3½-km (2-mi) cliff walk, popular with just about everyone in the eastern suburbs. Signage explains the flora and Aboriginal history, and the area is the venue for the hugely popular Sculpture by the Sea outdoor art display (held every October and November).
From the massive landmass of Australia to the islands of New Zealand, the South Pacific has many unique botanicals that are found nowhere else on earth. With their active lifestyles and increased sun exposure, Aussies and Kiwis understand the power of nature—as traveling skincare enthusiasts will quickly learn. So, the next time you’re Down Under, give your skin a break from surfing or trekking through the bush to explore some of the region’s top skincare products and wellness experiences.
Australians don't expect tips and hotels and restaurants don't usually add service charges. That said, a small tip for good service is common practice and appreciated. Room service and housemaids are only tipped for special services. Taxi drivers don't expect a tip, but leaving small change will win you a smile. Guides, tour bus drivers, and chauffeurs don't expect tips either, though they're grateful if someone in the group takes up a collection for them. No tipping is necessary—indeed, it would cause confusion—in hair salons or for theater ushers.
The true story of this remarkable female traveler is told in Glynis Ridley’s The Discovery of Jeanne Baret. Here are some of the highlights of Baret's story and the natural wonders along the way. Re-tracing her journey, dates are given for each location, so you can see how long it took an 18th-century ship to complete the voyage under sail.
The year 2011 is almost upon us so we've rounded up nine cities around the globe that celebrate the New Year with style. Find your perfect party, from family-friendly affairs to all-night debauchery to classic celebrations.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1759 -- 7-Night Vietnam Journey w/Air & Tours, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $59* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fare Sale, One WayVirgin America
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco ToursLatinEscapes.com
- $135 -- Toronto 4-Diamond Stay w/Ticket to Any Toronto EventThe Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
- $96* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from U.S. Cities (One Way)Air Canada
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel