News Stories Tagged argentina
Search this market for a unique souvenir that makes a great conversation piece.
We heard it through the grapevine: Catering to oenophiles is the latest trend on the high seas. A trio of cruise lines are pulling out all the stops to lure wine enthusiasts on deck, with newly launched wine-themed programs that feature plenty of wine experts on tap, viticulture-minded lectures, special vintage tastings, and more. And, of course, ports of call worthy of raising a glass to, in some of the world's top wine regions.
Buenos Aires has always been a magnet for artists, drawn to the capital city for its unique mix of Latin and European culture. The heart of the art scene lives in the city's many neighborhoods, where the walls of eateries and bars are lined with locals' work. And if you're lucky, you might rub elbows with the creators while sipping your Malbec.
Make sure you specify the kind of medialunas you'd like. These croissantlike pastries are a café breakfast staple, and come in two types.
Propinas (tips) are a question of rewarding good service rather than an obligation. Restaurant bills—even those that have a cubierto (bread and service charge)—don't include gratuities; locals usually add 10%. Bellhops and maids expect tips only in the very expensive hotels, where a tip in dollars is appreciated. You can also give a small tip (10% or less) to tour guides. Taxi fares can just be rounded off.
These croissant-like pastries are a café breakfast staple and come in two types: de grasa, which tend to be a little drier and skinnier but have a very delicate, mellow taste, and de manteca, which are plump, moist, sweet, and hard not to eat six of at a time.
Due to the high altitude in parts of Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, and Argentina, you may suffer from soroche, or altitude sickness. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, and shortness of breath. When you visit areas over 10,000 feet above sea level, take it easy at first. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, drink lots of bottled water and juice to stay hydrated, and rest for at least half a day. Symptoms usually disappear by the second day. If they don't, consult a doctor, especially if you have a history of high blood pressure. To fight soroche, locals swear by mate de coca, a tea made from the leaves of the coca plant.
Thank you to everyone who entered our Show Us Your Argentina photo contest; we received so many great photos....I know I was inspired enough to look into the best time to travel to Argentina (our editors Laura and Kelly recommend the upcoming shoulder season October-November). It's a big country and after seeing all it has to offer I know I want to see many of the places captured by entrants, including Iguazú Falls, Patagonia, and as a true city-lover, Buenos Aires. Congratulations to all of our winners!...View a slideshow of the winning shots...
Walking around where most of the locals are dead might not be at the top of your sightseeing list, but it should be. Here are four of our favorites: two you might have heard of, and two you might otherwise have overlooked.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1029* -- Fly Nonstop to Fiji from West Coast, R/T incl. TaxFiji Airways
- $128 & up -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $125* -- Omaha to Seattle this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $116 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Hotel Downtown, Save 55%Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $69* -- San Jose to Portland this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $529 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to the Bahamas, $190 OffRoyal Caribbean