News Stories Tagged alaska
Holland America Line's ms Volendam, which was heading for Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska, rescued 70 people from a disabled sightseeing vessel yesterday.
Fodor's editors are always traveling, and we love to share our favorite places and top finds. From kid-friendly restaurants in Paris to hike-in lodges in the Great Smoky Mountains, we've got plenty of recommendations. Read on to join our summer adventures!
Most people associate dog-sledding with cold weather, snow, and a particularly infamous Alaskan trail. There are dog-sledding options, however, in Alaska even for those who prefer warmer mushing weather.
Anchorage's charming, garden-fronted Copper Whale Inn, ideally situated within walking distance of most of downtown's top establishments (and just a stone's throw from the city's stunning 11-mile Tony Knowles Coastal Trail), is offering Fodorites an exclusive 20-percent off deal.
Heli-hiking, which essentially borrows from the heli-skiing concept—minus the skis or the snow—is quickly gaining ground as the latest bucket-list adventure trend. Here, a few spots where you can fly high on your next hiking trip.
Unfolding on the fringes of the ring-shaped auroral oval that circles the globe's Arctic realms, the aurora borealis phenomenon—a mystical apparition of glowing bands that float and spiral overhead (really solar particles bouncing off the earth's magnetic field)—can't help but inspire the imagination of all who bear witness to its splendor. A trek into the Alaska wilderness's bone-chilling winter wonderland affords optimum viewing conditions, particularly in the state's northern reaches. We've rounded up four unique opportunities to combine northern lights viewing with an extra boost of only-in-Alaska adventure.
Princess Cruises recently launched a series of discounts on their popular Alaskan cruises. The "Denali on Sale" deal, which continues through March 15th, features Alaska tours starting from $799/person for a 10-night trip.
There's no better way to deepen your understanding of the state's history and people than with a stop to this museum.
The hidden coves, calving glaciers, and remarkable wildlife of Alaska have secured its standing as the world’s third-largest cruise market (trailing only behind the Caribbean and Mediterranean), with 2012’s cruise calendar shaping up to be its biggest and best yet.
Festivals and carnivals featuring ice sculptures, sled dog races, sleigh rides, and more, give travelers a chance to join locals in fun, annual traditions. We've rounded up the best of the fests—from Vermont to Alaska—for you to consider while vacationing in your favorite winter wonderland.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $719 & up -- 7-Night Canada & New England Cruise, $575 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $59* & up -- Spring Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $529 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to the Bahamas, $190 OffRoyal Caribbean